loudness of IS on 70-200 IS 2.8

conraderb

hi folks - I'm trying to get a sense of what the audible noise is like

on the 70-200 2.8 IS. I have searched for this, but the only NOISE

that people discuss is visual noise. I heard that the IS system is

noisy, and I'm interested in hearing people's experiences regarding

how loud this lens is when using the IS.

thanks.

conrad

<p>My 20D is much louder than my Elan 7E. Then again, the Elan is one of the quietest 35mm SLRs around.</p>

<p>I have only briefly played with the 70-200 IS, and that was in a noisy environment. I have been using the 28-135 IS for several years, and the 300/4 IS for a few years. Neither one is what I'd call noisy. There is some noise, a bit more from the 300 than from the 28-135, but I suspect someone standing next to me probably wouldn't hear it except in a very quiet room.</p>

thanks for the responses. to be clear, I wasn't interested in noise from the combination of a lens and a camera body. I realize that a camera body will sound the same, no matter what lens is on it, so I just wanted to focus on what the IS sounds like if you can describe it and how it might compare to a USM focusing sound - is it a whirring sound? a grinding sound? a pleasant hum? is it (as I would expect) quieter to use the lens when the IS is not on?

thanks.

conrad

kind of a grinding/whirring noise but it's not very loud unless you're right up next to the camera, so the person taking the shot hears it but someone a few meters away probably won't and the shutter noise is much louder than it. nobody has ever commented that my lens is making any noise when i sometimes use it for portraits

Conrad, the only person that should be able to hear it is you!

I am only aware of it in an absolutely quiet room and then only because I can feel it

through my cheek. Bystanders can't hear it, but they can hear the shutter slap and motor

drive...

Why is the noise SO important to you on a lens that is designed for tele work? It's closest

focus is easily outside the range you could hear the Is in a perfectly queit room.

It's one of Canons very best lenses, you will not be dissapointed with the results and

options it gives you.<div>00DXIe-25631984.jpg.3d3815dcfe18b6b722d5dfe5005736e8.jpg</div>

by the way - I was asking more out of curiosity than concern. I'm sure that it would have come up in a review if it were an issue, but I was just interested. I never thought that IS would be noisy - I figured that it is some kind of plastic gel membrance that just cancels your hand vibrations (I'm going to go research this). thanks for the feedback.

>> I have searched for this, but the only NOISE that people discuss is visual noise.

What is a visual noise? The one you find in DSLRs?

>> I heard that the IS system is noisy, and I'm interested in hearing people's experiences regarding how loud this lens is when using the IS.

The only IS lens I used was the 300/4 IS. It was unheardable under any normal shooting conditions. Few months after I bought it I used it in a completely quiet room. I suddenly heard a strange and very faint noise. I started walking around the room to find its source. It took me several minutes to find out that it was the IS system that made it. I can't imagine that the 70-200/2.8 IS will be any louder.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

<cite>I figured that it is some kind of plastic gel membrance that just cancels your hand vibrations (I'm going to go research this)</cite>

<p>Nope. It's an active system which detects and counteracts motion, not a simple passive damper. It consists of two gyroscopic sensors which are used to detect motion (up/down and left/right), and a set of actuators to shift a group of lens elements to counteract the motion it detects. There's a little bit (but only a very little) of information on it <a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/room/f_index.html">in the Technical Room section of the Canon Camera Museum</a>.</p>