they can be a pain in the neck sic, on a walk about or even a

problem when affixed to a tripod.

I prefer to carry my camera in my hand as opposed to hanging round

my neck (I am talking SLRs here). The strap that comes with the

camera is so time consuming to remove and adjust; surely a better

means of attaching it to the camera when needed (two small spring

clips as on the older SLRs for instance), but modern SLRs do not

allow this.

My camera until needed, is in my photo rucksack on my back.

So is there an alternative, or are we stuck with either on or off?

I have several different straps with all sorts of different end fixings, but you can not fit them onto the camera (well not on my Canon you can't) because they are all too big to go through the strap retainers on the camera. Someone suggested two small metal key rings, but I have seen these wear through much thicker metal than on my camera in no time at all.

But I still prefer it without a strap

My cameras are strapped or if this is impossible quite a problem. - You'll see me sewing NR cases for Retina II and Zorki 4 soon...

I agree with you when it comes to point&shooty carry everyweres like Linhof Technikas or damn heavy SLRs like Pentacons.

I never had a motordriven body hanging from my neck. I have 2 shoulders and if I feel a need for more safty I'll sew some strap attachment on to my shooting vest again or 'll wear army shirts.

I just checked the comparably quick releaseable Leica strap to suggest it to you, But pushing up plastic, twisting metal to get it out might take too long to call it quick enough. - By the way I might have spend ages to straighten my LX strap that came with QR as you mentioned.

Only way out I'm still seeing: One of my TLRs has a broad strap with twistable attached springhooks in sturdy put-ordinary-strap-throuhg-lugs. There are bunches of comparably soft aluminium or plastic lugs and hooks on the market. If you fear brassing and worse sew or rivet small pieces of strap to your camera to have the hooks above it while you are carrying it. Maybe you like to glue something on the endangered corners of the camera too. With broad straps twistable hooks are really convenient. Another Idea might be using rubberband or velcro or babysocksized sacks to keep straps together when the might disturb you. - I haven't tried them yet.

I use Op/Tech professional straps, which have clips that allow you to remove most of the neck strap, leaving an hand strap for the camera. This works well on a tripod (I seldom bother) and fits inside my blimp for concert work. Even a casual perusal of the web would turn up other straps of similar ilk.

Spring clips on the body loops not only cause extreme wear, but can release without warning if twisted in a certain way. Attachments using split rings and straps are the evolution of a lot of nasty experiences.

You have my permission to walk around carring your camera in your hand.

I use a wrist loop made from Dk. Green Parachute cord that runs through the right strap lug and is knotted to allow a slip fit over my wrist. works great once slightly snug you would have to yank my hand off to get the camera away from me. And with a 550 lb break test on the cord that ain't likely.

You can also go to the local hardware store and buy a small neoprene washer (mine are 1/4" ID 1" OD) slip that on the lug first and then clip your strap to the lug this holds the washer in place and totally protects the body from wear. it is soft and comfortable when holding the camera. And they cost very little I think I paid less then a dollar for the ones I have. Could have been as cheap as 2 for a dollar.

The alternative I use most of the time is a Hand Strap! Although it will still require some time to initially attach it to the camera body, it remains attached and when not used, it will still fit comfortably between your hand and the camera body when you grasp the camera grip over/outside of the hand strap. Both of my Canon SLR bodies have the Canon hand strap attached always. Sometimes I will also attach the neck strap in addition to the hand strap. Once I initially attached my neck strap, made all the adjustments etc., etc., I find it very easy to re-attach to the body once you have done it a couple of times.

Consider the Hand Strap! It also helps to steady hand held shots!

My .02 worth

Use the split rings or triangle "rings" that come with the camera, go to a local sporting good store and find a thinner webbing that will crinkle at the split ring a little yet will fit through the slide buckles and then to the larger buckles. FWIW, I didn't have any trouble using the strap that came with the KM 7D and adapting it w/o any other purchases to a QR Tamrac or Optech strap - because it used a set of buckles/slides to attach the wider webbing to the original small strap anyways.

I use *both* a neoprene neck strap with quick-release connectors *and* a hand strap (grip) on my Canon 20D.

The hand grip attaches to the Canon neck strap connection on the right of the body (near the CF door) and to the threaded tripod mount on the bottom of the body. The piece that screws into the tripod mount provides a second threaded hole for mounting the body on a tripod without first removing the grip (if desired). This piece also provides a second connector on the left side (near the I/O ports) to be used to install a neck strap on the left side of the body, when used in conjunction with the body's left-side neck strap connector.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=194968&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

My neoprene neckstrap not only is much more comfortable than the Canon-supplied strap when in use (its "springiness" greatly decreases fatigue after long use), but its quick-release connectors make it a snap (pun intended) to attach and detach. And as someone else noted above, the quick-release connectors on the two pieces of nylon-web strap that attach to the body can be connected to each other when the neoprene portion of the strap is removed, to create a much shorter hand strap (though not nearly as comfortable as the hand grip).

I believe the neoprene strap came with the little metal rings (spring clips) for the older style SLR mounts, but it's a trivial process to remove these and to then secure the ends of the nylon-web straps to the camera body with their little plastic "belt buckles."