Rectangular Hood for Rokkor 40mm

david k kan

I learnt from other threads that the Leica 12526 hood can be used on

the Summicron-C 40mm with some modifications to the rubber hood or

using a retaining ring. I however have a Rokkor-m 40mm (which is

different from the cron-C and takes 40.5 mm filter). Would the 12526

fits the Rokkor without the need of the aforesaid modification? If

not, any rectangular hood that would fit perfectly? many thanks

Because of the aperture selection ring placement, neither lens will directly accept the rectangular hood. The inside diameter of the 12526 hood is 42mm. Making an adapter ring would be as easy (and cheap) as finding the cheapest 40.5mm filter, knocking out the glass and filing it down. An easy hour's work.

hello D.Kan,

me too I have a CLE rokkor and use it with a rectangular hood. the only issue is that the large diameter mechanism of the hood attach makes the aperture ring hard to catch... but still the rectangular hood is much more flare proof! if you can make it fit on it, do it! you will see the different!

best regards!

Stan<div>00DDi9-25167584.jpg.d62ee10be12be114f7e6b18a3e181c9d.jpg</div>

Using the worn out rubber hood, I removed all the old dried rubber and sanded the remaining rubber down to 42mm dia. I use this as a retainer for the 5.5 filter and the clips of the rectangular hood grip the remaining rubber firmly enough for security. If the hood is pushed all the way onto the front lens flange it will come up against the apperture ring and inhibit its access. The filter retainer moves the hood far enough forward to avoid interference with the aperture ring.