searching and applications. I would really love to have a career

having to do with photography- more specifically portrait, wedding,

or nature/people shots-, but I know there is limited job

opportunities for people in those career fields. My preference would

be to attend a 4 year university (anywhere in US). I thought I would

major in photography, but through reading many posts here, business

sounds like a better idea. What about a major in visual

communications? Do people in that field get to use photography in the

career? Has anyone heard about programs for any of these majors at...

UCLA,

UCSD,

UCSC,

UCSB,

Northern Arizona University,

Texas Christian University,

CU Boulder,

Washington University in St Louis,

RIT,

NYU,

USC,

Boston University,

Chapman College,

Biola,

Azusa Pacific University,

Ithaca,

Yale,

Stanford,

sorry the list is so extensive, I'm still trying to narrow it down.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Kristin, I hate to break it to you, but you're right, there's not a whole lot of opportunities or money in the portrait business. You'd probably have to open your own studio and be successful if you want to make a good living at it. That said, if you love portrait photography, go for it! Life isn't all about money, follow your heart. I don't know specifics about the visual communications degree, but I have a bachelors in Radio/TV/Film, and that field isn't much better than photography. Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

My suggestion is if you're really into photography then double major in photography and another field that would be easier to make a living at. I majored in photography, graduated in Nov and discovered that the job opportunities are practically non-existant. Visual Communications may be a little better, but that sounds pretty broad and the program could vary greatly at different schools. <br>

Good luck,

Kristin,

Can't give you any info on the photo dept.s, don't know anything, but I can offer a few points to consider.

If you have a good guidance counselor at your school, take some preference and aptitude tests. You might find that you're aimed in slightly the wrong direction.

That done, get the catalog of a large university, and go through the majors. Might find something you never thought of that looks really intriguing.

Consider that for better or worse, a degree of any sort from Stanford or Yale is going to beat one from Cal State-Salton Sea, or the like, when it comes time to look for a job

My own take is that large university beats a small one, as the breadth of knowledge gained from just being around so many different people is an education in itself, and if one major doesn't pan out you don't have to transfer from a smaller, more limited school

Good luck

Jack Floyd, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, AB '72, JD '75