Nikon/D70 experienced hands: best focus advice

kenneth_logan

I've shot about 20,000 D70 frames. I'm still frustrated by some

focus issues with great glass like 50/1.8 AF D and 180/2.8 AF ED

MultiCam 900 focusing system. Particularly:

1) Does anyone have clear confirmation of D70 mirror-slap blurring

between approx. 1/4 sec. and 1/60 sec. exposure time?

2) Does anyone have clearly better performance using any of the four

outer focus regions rather than focus-and-recompose using the

central focus region? (Focus-and-recompose inevitably shifts the

focal point--even slightly--that one focuses on, either forward or

backward from that point focused on. Also, the central focus

supposedly has both vertical and horizontal focus sensing, whereas

the other four have only one directional focus sensing.)

3) Does it make any difference whether one seeks focus from a point

farther away than the desired focus point versus from a point closer

than the desired focus point?

4) etc....

"Does anyone have clear confirmation of D70 mirror-slap blurring between approx. 1/4 sec. and 1/60 sec. exposure time?"

I can confirm the fuzzines at low speeds. I wouldn't attribute that top the mirror slap only as the whole camera is fragile. Use higher shutter speeds (in my case, normally > 1/125s) for *sharp* images.

I don't like to fuss around with buttons (focus, etc) while taking photos. AF (whatever caliber it is) does nothing for me.

There's a bit of shutter lag shooting sports with D70 using AF (80-200 2.8, 180 2.8, 85 1.8, etc.) Only the central focus point is cross (most sensitive) while others are single plane sensitive. I gave up using those outer focus points long ago for sports, but would still use them for subject with less motion (even that, I would need to tilt the camera a little to help out the poor little focus point lock focus.) If I have to pick, using central point to lock and recompose is more sure handed, IMO.

4) etc....

Check the mirror slap on your camera with your techniques. Here's how:

Start with a good flat target. Sharply-printed black grid on white paper does it for me. You want fine, sharp lines in the horizontal and vertical directions because you do not want to guess how mirror slap will affect your shot. Shooting will be all manual, focus and exposure.

Take a soft flash shot, dim light, high shutter speed. No ambient light, in other words. On a tripod with remote control release.

Then take same shot, on tripod, remote immediate release, at various shutter speeds, no flash. Do not refocus.

Now handhold at various shutter speeds. Try different techniques. The closest wall or tree is what I look for.

See what you get, beside the obvious need to cut down on caffeine. Pretty scary handheld results, huh?

Now that you know what things look like in a controlled environment, shoot real life and compare. Grids don't move, but leaves, cars, people do. That way you can identify problems better, unless you are really into shooting graph paper, of course.

You can do the same series using different focus sensors, shooting while walking. Whatever the variables you are interested in. It's all free.

Bill

I have major AF problems with the 50 1.8 in low light and the searching is quite noisey and

problematic when photographing a quiet event. I have numerous times made the mistake of

turning off the AF with the 50, then switching to the 12-24 and forgetting to turn the AF

back on. Suprisingly the 180 isn't too bad at all in low light. Have had for the most part

good luck with the outer AF sensors.

Kenneth,<br>

<br>

The D70 has a poor viewfinder and a very outdated AF module. DSLR(s)

are expensive and the D70 is at the low end in price, quality and

performance. You clearly need a better camera.<br>

<br>

If you were shooting a camera such as a Nikon F3 with film then

your logical choice now is a Nikon D2X. Switching to a low end

Canon wont be the solution either. If buying Canon you

should look no lower than the Canon EOS-1D Mk II.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

>"Does anyone have clear confirmation of D70 mirror-slap blurring between approx. 1/4 sec. and 1/60 sec. exposure time?"

Of course. But it's the case with any SLR camera, isn't it?

>"Does anyone have clearly better performance using any of the four outer focus regions rather than focus-and-recompose using the central focus region?"

When subjects are within about 10ft away, and with wide apertures, it's possible to loose sharp focus by focus-recompose method. Canon has a technical paper on how to get the most out of their 1D series. This is mentioned there, too. But on D70 edge focus points aren't as good as the center point so, especially in low light or fast action, I still only use a center point.

Yes, D70 doesn't have a top of the line AF system. And Canon 10D/20D/5D line doesn't have it either. If you need to focus fast go with 1Dx or D2h or... D2X!