With todays soaring gas prices, and me having to travel sometimes up

to 100 miles round trip, I'm curious as to what other photographers

charge for mileage. When I go a distance, I generally charge .37

cents a mile, and with gas being about $2.50 a gallon, thats not

really cutting it. So, what do other/ you photographers charge per

mileage. How much is too much to charge. Am I skinning my own

hide.

Any comments appriciated.

I'm not a wedding pro, so feel free to ignore my comments, but I think you'll have a hard time charging more than most of your customers get to expense for mileage, or it will simply look out of whack. You might be able to charge somehow for travel time or work it into the fee somehow, but a straight mileage number much above that will probably raise questions.

You need to make adjustment to your wedding 'package' price. Just as you would if film were to become a $7.00 or a $12.00 per roll expense throughout the U.S.A. (Some folks with digital equipment had their camera's drop from a tree...no film expense to include in the cost of covering a wedding at all...just hours in Photoshop tweaking their images.)

OK, let's do a little math. As you said you are paying $2.5/gal. Would you consider raising your prices if the gas price was $1.5/gal? I assume not. So that's a difference of $1/gal. Don't know what kind of vehicle you drive, but if you are driving up to 100 miles round trip I assume that's mostly highway and we'll go with a MPG of 20. In order for you to go that 100 miles, you will use 5 gallons of gas. At at difference of $1/gal, that's only 5 bucks. It will cost you only 5 bucks more paying $2.5/gal than it would if it were $1.5/gal for that wedding. We all freak out when we see the prices of gas, but when you break it out, it's not really that bad. Go ahead try to explain to the bride that you need an extra 5 bucks to cover gas money...

If my converter is right you pay around 65 cents (0.65$) per liter (1 gallon is around 3.8 liters? right?) holy crap, here (Luxembourg) I pay 1.121€ per liter (went to sthe station today), which is 1.46$ per liter, MORE THAN DOUBLE what you pay... And that is even cheap compared to most other european countries! you should consider yourself lucky!

Nice point Todd. Stephen, as said by others I'd just build it into your overall price, not being specific about miles. I'd be more concerned about what my time is worth (100 miles at 60-70mph highway is about an hour and a half of my time which is worth more than the five bucks in gas). I would figure your rates by deciding on a base travel time your willing to go and then add on from there, then again 1 1/2 hrs round trip would be considered a pretty decent commute to work by most people.<div>00CrT1-24644784.jpg.ec42f52c692dc890d7aea839ee0506e7.jpg</div>

• 1 month later...
I am photographing my second wedding in about a month (need to provide a quote to the Bride today). It is going to be an hour long event (only 4 people at the Wedding). But I will be spending up to three (3) hours driving. So it is actually a four (4) hour commitment for me. I am wondering if I should go with Lauren's advice and charge by the hour. Any advice anyone? The Bride approached me because this is only my second wedding and she probably feels I will be "reasonable".