New Orleans Coffee Shop

opc

Great photo Olivier! I agree with the others, it has that classic stamp to it. The warm tone and all.

I take issue with Francisco's statement that the modern sign "Exit" denies it to be a photo from the late 50s.

I take issue with the statement that the modern sign "Exit" denies it to be a photo from the late 50s.

It's not a wild notion on my part, but based on fact. Let me explain. The night after the 1942 Boston College- Holy Cross Thanksgiving Day football game, there was the biggest fire fatality in American, if not world history for people dying in a night club fire. It was at the Coconut Grove night-club (owned by Barbara Walter's father) and members of both teams were there, more from Holy Cross as they won.

Over 500 people died and it was that tragedy that prompted laws throughout many U.S. states to require illuminated Exit signs to be used to indicate the exits of public places. They weren?t at the ?Grove?

I had a very personal connection with this event. I worked at the information desk of Boston City Hospital for two of my high school years (Boston English H,S, Class of '43) BCH is where the majority of the injured were sent. I always worked Saturdays , but left long before the first of the huge number of patients were admitted. All sorts of improvisation were employed. Although it was the largest hospital in Boston, there were not enough beds, rooms or ward to accommodate all those burned and gassed patients. My boss, Dan Higgins, called me very early Sunday morning and told me I was needed immediately, as was everyone who worked at the Information Desk. I took the next street car and MTA elevated train . It was chaos, but everybody pitched in. Buck Jones, who was then a popular cowboy movie star, was one of those killed. Many break through skin grafting were initiated ar BCH.

I am sorry for this long not-so-OT story, Olivier, but the whole incident just flashed back. However, it in no way diminishes my appreciation of your excellent photo. I find it complete and the sign does not detract in any way for me. It is a fine work of art. One of the best seen on this forum IMHO.. Bravo Olivier!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the compliments. The coffee shop is at the corner of Race and Magazine Streets in area called the Lower Garden District. It is in an old corner shop that has a tin ceiling and large French windows. The coffee is excellent and cheap. It's one of those few places that attracts people from all walks of life. A great place for candid shops.