Nikkormat autoindexing problem

I've got an odd problem on the Nikkormat FTn that I just got. It was

cheap because the lens was 'stuck' on the front and the lens was what

I was actually after: a well used but optically nice 50/1.4 Nikkor S.

As soon as I got my hands on it I could see what was happening, the

indexing cam was trapping the pin mount. What I can't figure out is

why, although it certainly seems to have something to do with the

faceplate. The clue seems to be this nick in the faceplate....<div>00Cqqf-24632084.jpg.8a4d14c42b50db53457a183ed458dc19.jpg</div>

Have any of the DIY enthusiasts who hang out here got any ideas how this could be fixed? I suspect the face plate has been bashed out of shape and I'm going to need a new one but any ideas will be welcome.

That faceplate sure does look bashed up a bit. If you don't care too much about the cosmetics, perhaps you could file off the offending protrusions. A small rat tail file shoud do and you can probably get them at your local Radio shack or even in the tools section of Home Depot or similar store. Micro Mark has some at this link:

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Department&ID=11

I won't be of much help here other than perhaps a little encouragement...

The FTn is a nice camera. The controls aren't exactly intuitive but not too hard to get used to.

The Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 S is a great lens. I notched mine for use with the AI bodies and it works perfectly.

My FTn came with a Nikkor 50mm f/2.0, which like yourself, is why I bought the camera. The lens is like new, the camera is in good shape and the meter actually works. $60. at a camera show. I figured I'd pay $45. or $50. for the lens by itself.

When you hold the FTn, you KNOW you got a camera in your hands!

It's certainly quite possible that the ding on the faceplate is binding the indexing pin. I recently picked up a used and quite dirty and dusty Nikkormat FT2 that had the same problem, but in my case, it just took a thourough cleaning to get some caked on dirt and surface oxidation off the mechanism to free up the pin, and now it operates fine.

I agree that filing it down on the inner surface of the plate is probably what's needed, if not a new faceplate.

Thanks for the advice, folks. I rather thought that filing down the faceplate might do the job but it's nice to get the confirmation.

I've got the spacers so I might see if anyone in the UK has a reasonably cheap replacement plate, if filing/sawing doesn't work. Until then, I can just use it without the plate - it looks odd but works just fine.