P/S Recommendation

unclebuddha

My mother-in-law is looking for an "always carry" point and shoot

digital. She has no patience for choosing this camera as she spent it

all buying a D70.

She is looking at the Nikon 7900, Nikon S1, and Konica Minolta DiMage

X1. Pluses for the Nikon is, well, it is a Nikon. The S1 is tiny.

The KM X1 is tiny AND it has more MP (big deal) AND it has Anti-Shake.

She isn't sure about Konica Minolta glass. She is afraid she'll

always miss her D70 shooting her grandkids and I assure her she will.

YET, being the complicated woman I know and love, she wants something

to carry in her purse.

She is on a camera Jihad.

Please help.

Mark

Konica/Minolta glass is very good. I've been using it for a year. But the sensor and processing of the image (where analog information is interpreted to digital) are just as important as is the lens. Perhaps best advice is that you visit a store where you can get your hands and mind around these cameras with a knowledgeable person at the counter. You might come to different conclusions than we, with our own biases and brand loyalties.

Check out the Fujifilm finepix F10. I just got one and it is surprisingly good. I choose it over the cameras that have Image Stabilization because IS can add to shutter lag and the F10 has pretty good performance at high ISO. I've taken some shots where the camera used ISO 1600 and unless I looked at the ISO rating I would not have known. The lens is also very low distortion and has some good macro capabilities.

I have a few pics in my photo.net portfolio, in the folders: flowers, abstract, horses, and puppy all have photos with this camera.

I bought this camera because I did have the money to replace my DSLR at this time, and I was surprised to find that this camera my fulfill a lot of my needs and just may put off a DSLR for longer than I expected. But it is by no means a complete replacement for a DSLR. It is small enough to always carry.

Check out some of the tests done on www.dpreview.com.