Where can I get a Yashica Mat lens shade?

scott_kinkade

Hi Folks...

I'd like to get a lens shade for my recently purchased Yashica

Mat-124. I see the proper square shades now and then on ebay, but out

on the web I only seem to find round rubber shades. Rather than

waiting it out in a crap-shoot auction, isn't there some place that

just sells them? You know, really has them in stock and can just send

me one?

Also, any recommendations on some basic filters I should start with?

I plan to do about 75%-25% color-BW. Should I use bay 1 or should I

get an adapter of some sort?

Thanks in advance...

<P>If budget is no problem, shop around and you can get everything you need in bay 1, new or used. Or you can do what I did and get a bay 1 to 49mm adapter and use all your 49mm stuff on it. The round hood will intrude into your viewfinder a bit but it's not the end of the world.</P><P>As for which filters, a polarizer for color, a yellow and a red for BW. Using the polarizer is easy, you hold it over the viewing lens, rotate to get the right orientation, note the position of the white mark, then put it on the taking lens and rotate until it's in the same position.</P>

About the lens shade: as you know, theoretically, the Y124 takes bay. 1 filters, like the Rolleiflexes with f/3.5 lense - but careful, I guess due to different tolerances, that's not always true I've got a YashicaMat (without numeral), a YashicaMat 124G, a Rolleicord Va, and two Rollei-made bay. 1 shades: 1 of the shades fits all three cameras, the other one does not fit the YashicaMat, but does fit the other two cameras (though I have to use a bit of force on the Y124G)...

About filters: the usual recommendation for B&W work is a yellow filter - that's OK; I personally like the yellow-green a bit more: it does everything the yellow does (give better cloud separation in the sky), but in addition gives better seperation to greens (= makes leaves/bushes/trees look more 3D like), and also to reds (does not bleach out red lips, like a yellow does). Maybe add an orange filter for more melodramatic pictures, and you're all set. Polarizers are nice, but not very easy to use on any non-SLR type of camera...