pronea ix lenses????

jon_sak

I know the pronea ix lenses protrude too far to be used with 35mm

cameras. However I was thinking about how silly that was. Today we

have APS sized digital sensors that could make good use of the old IX

lenses, but they won't fit because of the design. Its too bad that

there are no work arounds for it becasue they made a decent 24-70mm

zoom that would save a lot of d70 users $$$greif.

I do not think that there many people that do miss the "quality" of these lenses. But if I remember correclty, with a relative simple mod, they will fit on any Nikon. You have to remove a piece of plastic on the lens and it fits.

I haven't had a chance to try the 60-180 IX-Nikkor (have not found one that is cheap enough). I would suspect that the matrix chip in it would be placed similar to the 24-70 lens. This implies (most likely but not sure) that you can disengage the plastic protrusion by unscrewing a few screws that holds it to the lens mount. If this can be done, you can avoid some sawing off of the plastic cup (a real pain).

• 2 months later...
As a former owner of Nikon Pronea 6i with two IX zooms, that I quickly sold after four month of ownership, my humble opinion is to stay away from IX lenses. Not only the are made cheaply but they are simply not sharp. Personaly I would classify them as worse than the G series and probablty the worsest ever lenses wearing the Nikon brand (were they manufactured and designed by Nikon?). The same Pronea 6i body with standard D series zooms gave me much better results. I do not think it is worth the effort. I would leave everything that has to do with the Pronea system to collectors.