Sigma 10-20 Lens review

arnabbanerjee

I have been trying wide zooms on my Canon 300d at my local dealer, to work out which work best.

I've now tried a couple of Sigma 10-20's with varying results. The first 2 weeks ago was Sigma UK's demo copy which would not let me take photos below 14mm and massively over exposed pictures in the P-mode. The second I subjectively tried yesterday at my local Canon dealer, in comparison with the Canon 10-22, Sigma 18-50 and my 300d 18-55 kit lens.

The 10-22 is somewhat sharper and gives faster shutter speeds for the same Av than the 10-20, which still over exposes little at -2/3EV but has a wider FOV (Zoombrowser indicates 17mm at the 20mm setting) and shows less perspective distortion.

At the focal lengths that overlap, the Sigma 18-50 is as sharp as the 10-22 (while still over exposing a little), whilst my kit lens, which seems a good copy and sharper than my 50/1.8 prime (!), is the same as the 10-20.

I'm not a manual setting expert, so all settings were what the 300d gave, but subjectively the 10-22 is the best, but it isn't worth the ?170 ($300) price difference in the UK - now if I can convince my son to buy the 350d with it's ?75 discount voucher, then the 10-22 it will be.