My "new" SWC

paul_neuthaler

I have always wanted one: just bought this on the auction site --

described as clean, recently serviced, lense pristine. Also, paid by

credit card through Paypal. Seller, from Norway, pretty decent

Feedback IMHO. Will appreciate all advice, etc. I know about finder

partial block --<div>00Cqvo-24633184.jpg.59780a19e6540be95b6dd367f4035932.jpg</div>

I think the `blad chimney finder will attach on the back in place of a film holder for direct viewing. You should confirm this before purchasing. The med format forum or Hasselblad USA would be where I would inquire.

The Biogon is a true wide angle, not retro focus. Consequently lines are rendered very straight, ie low distortion.

Yes, I know this is a Leica forum, so with all due respect, I want to recommend that you

now find yourself a good, clean Rolleiflex 3.5f, version 3 with the 6 element Planar (circa

1962-63 is best), as the ideal companion for your SWC. Go for it - you won't regret it!

Nah, the Rollei made for the East German market with the Zeiss Jena Biometer has much nicer bokeh. As for the "this is the LEICA forum" thing, the Superwide is a zone focus handheld wide angle camera ideal for "Leica style" photography. Have fun, Paul!

Way to go Paul! I got mine from the same source last week and am absolutely loving it.<p>

The only real addition (asides a film back of course) could be the focus screen adaptor. It allows you to focus on a regular Hassie focus screen be placing it instead of the film back. I'm not sure I will go that route, because it turns the joy of using a small camera like the SWC into as much work as using my view camera. If I have to focus on the GG, I'll shoot 4x5" thank you. Hyperfocal focusing is a dream (except possibly if you get in really really close). I have always wanted one... now time to have fun. SHow us the results.

Congratulations, it's a great camera/lens combo. I had two of them. The filter should be a Series VIII, but I managed to get E67 filters on my 1976 T* lens: a Heliopan slim UV and a B+W Pol., although I stopped using it because the skies became unevenly polarized. Some don't like the finder, but I never had a problem with it. Sometimes, I didn't even use it for street photography.

I knew the duplicate/transferred from the LPF would be deleted.

I have an older non-T* SWC and it is a lovely camera indeed. I got it from KEH in bargain condition but with perfect glass. I didn't like the torpedo finder with its dark and distorted tunnel vision so when I visited Tokyo I picked up a Voigtlander Cosina 6x6 angle finder. The VC finder is very bright, relatively distortion free, accurate coverage and with built-in diopter adjustment. It sure brought new life to an old camera. I also find the SWC easier to shoot handheld at waist level versus bringing it up to my face. However the finder kit including the proper eye piece is quite pricey at about $500.

This NOT the Leica forum!!! I have had this group bookmarked for years - and my forum title clearly says it's the "Hasselblad group"; In addition to only showing Hassie posts! Sometimes it can get confusing as to which forum you're in unless you filter and bookmark the forum posts correctly. Mine is correct and so are many others. The Leica 35mm folks are here mistakenly (unless there is a giltch). BTW, there is some co-mingling in the med format forum unless you take the extra step of filtering the posts properly. Now, BACK to the new SWC Hassie - its a beauty alright.

Paul,

I started to write a posting yesterday and the power went out here in rain soaked Atlanta! The camera is pristine. I have a '56 Superwide and a late 903 SWC. I have tested one against the other and didn't see any measurable gain from the T* coating on the 903 SWC. Dare I say you will NEVER miss the T* coating!

The hole on the side of the camera allowed a cable hook to be inserted into it. The cable hook looks like a question mark for purposes of supporting the flash cable. The hook was supplied with the camera when new. More often than not, the hook is missing.

David Odess has a new one for $5 if you are really interested in having it:

http://www.david-odess.com/sales.html

The correct filters are 63mm drop in. Since you already have the screw-in hood/filter retainer, I would aim for finding the original filters. It should be noted that the Hasselblad filters are recessed on one side and this is the side that should face the lens! If you do a search, you will find articles from SWC owners complaining about the front element contacting the filter glass! This may have been corrected as time went on but it is a definite issue with my '56 Superwide (also uses the 63mm drop-in filters). The supply of 63mm filters is plentiful. I would look at the history on Ebay and get a feel for what others have paid for them. Over a course of 4-6 months I gradually purchased mint ones off Ebay, some still new in the box.

I love this camera and have taken it on many a vacation to Europe. It is a great street camera.

E-mail me with any questions. Best of luck!

JP Mose

Some 67mm screw filters will fit, some won't; the thread pitch for the series adaptor ring / shade is a little different than the usual filter thread pitch, so don't force anything. If you're going to buy new filters best to just buy series-size filters.

Two groundglass adaptors were made; one just has a plain groundglass (cheaper) while the newest is a frame to hold an Acute-Matte screen. I haven't used the newer type; the older type is workable but the corners are so dark as to be just about invisible. A chimney finder works pretty well. This thing is, though, really a great camera for handheld use.

If you want to shoot 645 rectangles with an A-16 back you might be able to dig up the metal snap-on rectangular viewfinder mask.

Please send the camera to me as it will need extensive testing, being a used camera and all!<g>

You are a lucky guy. These are less than spectacular cameras that take exceedingly spectacular images. I wish I still had mine. It's not hard to tell which razor-sharp transparencies I shot with my SW/C. Congratulations!