Help for buying a Canon EOS

franciscodiaz1

One must read in order to learn.

How much gear are you willing to bring with you?

How much time are you willing to thing about each shot?

How much time are you willing to invest in your photos AFTER each shot?

Does the $2000 include the necessary computer hardware?

If you are looking for a simple P&S alternative. . .then shooting JPEGS with a rebel XT and 18-55 kit lens is for you (What ... ..$900?)

If you are looking for a step up. . .but still a "one lens" solution. . . .then a XT with the 17-85/IS lens ($800+$600) is the way to go.

If you are getting deep into the hobby. . .then $2000 ain't enough. Start with a 20D. $1200. Get a 18-55kit lens, $100, a 28-135/IS ($400), 50/1.8 ($70) and a 420EX flash ($175).

There's not much to complain about the 20D, it's a well built camera with a lot of features. If you consider yourself a serious amateur, then the 20D is a very good sarting point. Compare the 20D spec with the XT and decide for yourself. Remember that lenses will be your longer term investment and you will need at least a standard zoom (or a few primes). If you want to shoot landscapes then you may want to consider a wide angle lens option which can be expensive. See the numberous articles in this site for the alternatives for DSLRs.

Read up well before you buy. Happy shooting!

The 20D is fine. So is the rebel XT.

A few things to remember;

1) Camera salesmen are salesmen. They are trying to sell you something. ANYTHING.

2) The XT and 20D are both very capable cameras, and will produce virtually identical images. Yet they are $400-$600 different in price. Why? Well. . .marketing. But also. . .feel. You may find the 20D too big. You may find the XT too small. The "feel" of the camera is very important. Also. . the 20D has some advanced features readily accessible by buttons, while the XT has these SAME features buried in menus. If you frequently use things like Flash Exposure Compensation, or adjust ISO. . then the 20D may be more appropriate.

BY THE CAMERA BODY THAT SUITES YOUR HAND BETTER.

3) It's the lens stupid. Lenses will influence your pictures more than the camera body. Bodies will be replaced. Lenses won't. If you are a complete newbie. . .the 18-55 ($100) is a fine place to start. Pair it with a telephoto like the 75-300/IS. . .and you might be set for a long time.

4) Don't forget a flash unit. The pop up flashes are fine. . .but are very, very limiting because they are "fixed position". A 420EX is an important tool if you shoot inside. You DO NOT need the more expensive 550EX and 580EX units.

5) Want to get better lenses right away? The 17-85/IS is a great lens, possibly a good "one lens" solution. But this lens is overpriced (by about 50%) for what you get. The 28-135/IS is only $400, but a great "prosumer" lens. It will pair with a 18-55 really, really well.

Want to go whole hog? Then you want the 4L's. A 17-40/4L ($650), 50/1.8 ($70), and the 70-200/4L ($575) are the bee's knees. Though these lenses lack image stabilization. . .the QUALITY of the images can't be beat.

Canon Digital Rebel XT SLR Camera Body Kit, Black Finish with EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens - $880, 50mm 1.8 $75, 70-200 L 4.0 $580. A little money left over in your budget for 2 or 3 1g CF cards. Now go out and take lots of pictures and learn, learn, learn! Next year you may or may not want to buy more lenses etc. Good luck.<div>00D8ZP-25055384.jpg.a786b3e5078b9edb9130df1af9b3f909.jpg</div>

With all your responses and advices I have a good bunch of possibilities to think about. I admire your knowledges, and I see that I am talking to real photography lovers and good fellows here. You are right: lenses are for more time: I will considere the best you suggest. Concerning the body, another true thing: the comfort. I am a begginer (as I can know looking at the pictures here)and I am used to an old (and very good) Nikon. So I think I prefer the 20D. I will read about. Thanks very much indeed, Jim, Cilff, Gil. Any further advise will be welcome.

Further advice? It is the photographer not the camera that makes the pictures. There are many people running around with pro gear and 2005 technology (I am one of them), yet they take worse pictures than Ansel Adams or Cartier Bresson did with 50-60 year old technology. Taking great photos has much more to do with one's mind than the choice of camera and lens.

Now go out and learn.

• 2 weeks later...