Yashica 635 - Problems with shutter :-(

shay_ohayon

Hi All,

I got me an old Yashica 635 today. However, shutter speeds 1,2,5,

and 10 aren't working. Bulb, 25,50,100,250, and 500 seem to work

fine. Any suggestions how to fix this ? Can I do this myself? I can

probably get the techincal manual, which explains how to disassemble

it. But I wouldn't know where to start looking for the problem.

Shay

Howdy. I repair cameras for a living and in my humble opinion the best thing you can do is leave the shutter mechanism alone. Leaf shutters all tend to gum up after a period of non-use. Your 635 may free up a bit with use. In most cases you will not need the lower shutter speed and 1/25th of a second is the lower limit of hand holding the camera in any event. The cleaning of this type of shutter should be left to the professionals. With Yashica I can recommend Mark Hamma who will do an excellent job but at a cost. Considering that the camera is worth about $75.00 I would not invest the funds but enjoy it as is. Good Shooting.

Hi All,

I finally found an old retired guy in my country (Israel) who is willing to take a look at it. He claims he fixed problems like this before, and wouldn't charge much. I dropped the idea of fixing this myself after I saw the service manual...

Anyhow - I put my first roll through it today (Tri-X 400), and shot at 100,250 & 500. Developed the Negative using Rodinal 1+25, and results are lovely. Can't wait to use Velvia....

Shay