multiple lighting equipment suggestions

katie h.

I bought myself some pocket wizards for my birthday and I have a few

questions. I'd like to use a few of my shoe mount flashes as extra

lights but I'm not sure how to work out the equipment aspects.

I'd like to shoot one or two flashes into an umbrella on a light

stand for the formals. I've found a few adapters that attach one

shoemount flash to the light stand but I can't find one that would

hold two. Would a shoe mount flash even have enough power? For the

reception, I'd like to have an assistant carry a shoe mount flash on

the top of a monopod (or something like that). I'm having trouble

finding a good monopod for carrying and I'm not sure how to attach

the flash to the top (stroboframe maybe?). I know some of you work

with multiple lighting and I was wondering how you work out these

issues.

I also have a Sunpak handle mount flash, but the shoe mounts are

lighter. Would the handle mount be a better choice for this setup?

I'm really excited about trying multiple lighting. Any suggestions

on equipment or technique would be appreciated. Thanks!

Katie

Any healthy sized shoe mount flash works well with an umbrella (I've used a Nikon SB28). If you use ISO 400 film/digital setting, f8 and moderate distances (10'), it will work well.

Bogen makes appropriate monopods. I'd get one of the 3 section ones. To mount the flash all you need is a shoe adapter that has has a 1/4-20 threaded hole in the bottom of it. You contol the angle of the light by angling the whole pole.

We use PW's plus, and Nikon or Sunpak, bracket(Stroboframe) mounted flashes for the camera. The off camera flash is a Metz CT60 handle mount with it's dryfit battery unit. Or a Sunpak 120, with it's auxillary battery. The flashes are normally attached to a 30" tripod rod (a removed top section).

This set up is used for formals, as well as on the fly. For candid work, the 2nd light has to be held approximately 5-10 feet off the shoulder of the camera shooter(and up high).

For groups, the 2nd light goes straight over the lens, but up high. This lights the background , and the subjects, but it doesn't cast shadows from one person to the next.

As for using a 'brella with a shoe mount, simply try metering this type of set up. At 10 feet you will be lucky to get F 2.8, depending on the GN of the flash. I set my off camera (main)light to F 8, and the on camera (fill)light fires at F 5.6. The lens is set to F8.

I have sometimes used a 1200 WS mono with a 'brella, but only in the reception hall where this can be set up stationary. This can provide side and back light across a dance floor, and makes the difference between good and exceptional. The 3D effect created via 2nd lights, makes subjects "pop" off the paper.

Great timing Katie. I just set up a

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=13259"> Chimera 2790 speed ring kit </a> with my Nikon sb-800's. <br><br>

The B&H photo here is not a great description of the how I would use the set up, nor does it show the flash to speed ring bracket well. The whole thing weights very little and puts no strain on the flash. It has many standard 1/4" by 20 thread holes and bolts for you to mount it to stands or mono pods. <br><br>

I removed one baffle out of my small chimera and wandered around my dark living room with it and the light is fantastic. Wide and soft. I'm using it for outside portraits when I would normally use a bit of fill. And I would prefer this over cumbersome umbrella's too. <br><br>

I don't know what gear you have, but the Nikon sb-800's is a wonderful system. Dozens of flashes can be ganged together wirelessly and all controlled ttl from the camera. I'm going to buy another one of these speed ring kits and hook it up to my large chimera. With the factory diffuser of the flash set, giving a 14mm coverage, this should provide nice even fill for close up portraits. <br><br>

It took a couple months for this ring to show up at my shop ( I refuse to shop on line), and quickly had my dogs sit in the dark. I love the versatility of it and it's everything I had anticipated. The contraption is easy and light to move with one hand and quickly giving different lighting styles all the while providing brainless ttl exposures of beautiful light.

I have a stand adapter that can accommodate three shoemount flashes, but I don't remember the name of the outfit that made it. Going on B&H, there is a similar product made by Morris that can hold two flashes on a stand. Then there is the Denis Reggie designed unit, but it is very pricey for what it is.

http://www.denisreggie.net/bracket_instr.html

Two flashes together give more power than one, and one would be OK with an umbrella if you're not using medium and slower ISO's, not using small f stops and can place the umbrella at distances closer than about 8 feet.

Can't answer about the monopod but since you don't need an adapter that tilts, I saw walking sticks with a 1/4 20 top that could telescope to different heights at a local sports store.

Using the Sunpak over a shoe mount doesn't really make a difference other than maybe the Sunpak is more powerful than the shoemount.