Cape May NJ Photo Opportunities

oak_nj

I will be vacationing in Cape May in September, and I was wondering if

any of you know of any good photo opportunities. I was thinking about

going to the zoo and possibly taking a whale watching charter boat,

but other than that, I will be looking for some other "assignments".

I thought maybe some migrating birds might be passing through, etc..

BTW, I will not be taking my dig. SLR, but rather one of my film

bodies, as it is more dispensible in the salty environment. I would

also appreciate some recommendations for film.

Thanks!

Joe, I like the Wetlands Institute just west of Stone Harbor on Stone Harbor Blvd. It offers lovely views over the wetlands at sunrise (probably sunset too, although I've never been there then). I never see other people there at that hour, but the insects are fierce. Then, try driving along Ocean Drive toward Wildwood across the wetlands. You can pull off onto the shoulder of the road (more insects!) and shoot birds over the water at remarkably close range, like this black skimmer:<div>00DBJl-25113684.jpg.382bc24ed1dac6115f9429364c8b06d2.jpg</div>

Cape May is a gorgeous town. Don't neglect the architecture while you're there. The bird sanctuary in Stone Harbor, already alluded to, may also produce some great opportunities. You also might want to visit "the point" in Stone Harbor for some shell and small critter hunting/photography. Just don't go there when the tide's rolling in, or you may find yourself doing some rescue photography. I don't know that whales are commonly sighted in the Jersey shore area, but any whale watch would certainly produce the opportunity for some dolphin and bird shots. Have fun.

Bill

The area around the Cape May Bird Observatory hawk watch platform (on the edge of the

lighthouse parking lot) is a good spot for bird photography. This is in the Cape May Point

State Park. There are some trails that start nearby that can take you through some

wetlands, scrubby woods, around the pond that fronts the platform, and along the lee side

of the dunes. Good for fall migrants of all varieties. Depending on the reach of your lens,

you can also photograph from the platform. Be forewarned, though, it can become very

crowded during the Hawk Watch, which will have begun before your visit.

Also worth a visit for bird photography is the Edwin Forsythe NWR (known locally as

Brigantine). It's a short drive up the Garden State Parkway from Cape May. You can drive

the loop through the refuge and shoot from your car, using it as a

moving blind. The loop encircles several impoundments where you will see shorebirds,

albeit at a distance. But along the road in the phragmites and elsewhere, you will find

some birds to shoot at closer range. Also, the woods and fields attract a good variety of

migrant songbirds in the fall.

You will also find migrating butterflies in some areas, so you might prepare for that genre,

if it interests you. If I remember correctly, there are some gardens you can visit that are

cultivated with native plants attractive to butterflies.

Google for New Jersey Audubon and/or Cape May Bird Observatory to find other hotspots

and further information.

Have fun, Cape May and South Jersey offer much to interest the nature photographer.

Cape May is an absolutely beautiful and charming little town. It seems a town oriented around birds and birding. During my visits, it was wonderful to get out and walk around the touristy areas, watch the sights, eat the food, wander around the birding stores and art exhibits, and snuggle on the beach during the famous sunsets.

I know that Cape May is a location frequented by many bird photographers, but if you don't find any birds to photograph, which we didn't, it is still a very picturesque town and there are many wonderful architectural images to be made. It is a wonderful town to wander around in and again, it seems very bird/birder friendly.

Have a great time!

Gloira

You have a few good suggestions for Cape May photo ops. September is a bit early for hawk migration but worth the chance. The bird observatory has trails and ponds that can be fun and brings you back along the beach. The top of the lighthouse gives a good view although a tripod can?t be used. In the same area is a residential section and there are other ponds that have waterfowl and present good opportunities. You might also try setting up at the south end of W. Beach Drive and photo the lighthouse at dawn. It is across a shallow bay and will give you a very good photo. You may see me there some early September morning. To the west is Sunset Beach looking over the Delaware Bay and the Ferry Launch can be good for sunsets. Go to maps dot google dot com and zoom in on the area. It has maps and satellite photos and overlays. It is a very good tool to get familiar with an area. Good luck.