Is it still possible to modify a non-ai lens to ai?

lawrence_bochkis

Searches have not given me any definitive results, so I appologize if

this has been hashed out before:

I just spoke to one of my local camera shops, and the guy there told

me that it is no longer possible to modify non-ai lenses to ai,

because the parts are no longer available, and while people still

"cobble together" solutions, as a rule it's not possible anymore.

Is that true? I'm new to Nikon, and so far all I have is an FG, but

I'm looking to get some lenses, especially very fast lenses like the

55's, etc.

If it is possible, I would like to know how to do it, and how much it

might cost...I've read that in the past it was relatively simple, but

the camera shop guy told me that it isn't. Cheers

"I just spoke to one of my local camera shops, and the guy there told me that it is no longer possible to modify non-ai lenses to ai"

Complete rubbish (almost). NIKON no longer offers an AI conversion service, and no longer stocks AI conversion kits. BUT ... there are AI kits still available from a couple of sellers for SOME lenses, and for those where parts are no longer available, there are a couple of outfits that will "cobble together" a solution by machining the original aperture ring.

http://www.aiconversions.com/

http://hometown.aol.com/wdshpbiz/AImod.html

http://billrogers.com/nikonai.html (OEM AI conversion kits)

Google John White in Michigan. He charges around $25 per lens, and does nice clean work. A lot of photographers do this to enjoy using the classic chrome barrel (non AI) Nikkors on modern (AI) bodies. People say these werent multi coated, and designed by computers, and therefore are inferior to later lenses. This is rubbish as well!

Remember that camera sales people are generally clueless to reality. They only know and speak the latest & greatest gear.

Yaron, I don't know if it's still doable with an official replacement Nikon AI-ring, but I personally did one myself by filing the proper AI-notch into the existing aperture ring of a 105mm f2.5 Nikkor-P.

As I said previously, it's technically doable on ANY Nikon F-mount lens, (Including off brands - I've done a couple of Vivitars that nobody would do commercially) now and forever more, because you don't actually need to replace the aperture ring - you can machine or file the existing ring.

A contrarian approach is to avoid the amateur surgery or often not-so-pretty "pro"(sic)AI jobs and simply get a body with a flip-up AI tab(e.g., an FE body).I have several of these, a couple of F3s, along with a trove of non-AI lenses. Stop-down metering is a no-brainer.The Nikon-made kits(chiefly a new aperture ring) that went into "factory" AI conversions are long-gone but do surface occasionally on the big auction site, as do "factory" converted lenses.I've seen a few too many hack AI jobs that actually showed serious damage a la Dremel to the rear element.

Re <i>o "factory" AI conversions are long-gone </i><BR><BR>When there are a dozen offered on ebay at once; brand new in the box as sold stock; this is not long gone. There are probably many thousands still lurking in old camera stores; the ones not popular on Photo.net. here I have bought about eight AI kits; brand new off of ebay in the last 2 years; and a couple at old junky stores; in time warp mode. <BR><BR>The kits were not made for all lenses; some real old lenses never had Nikon AI rings made.<BR><BR>Many of us sent our Nikkors to Nikon and paid the 35 to 40 bucks in the late 1970's; and had them AI modified.<BR><BR>A few Nikkors are too big around; and need milling on the aperture ring to clip the diameter down a grunt.<BR><BR>I modified my 5.8cm F1.4 Nikkor many years ago myself.

Converting a non-ai lens to ai is a simple process. You can switch the aperture ring if you can find one available, or mill out the notch.

It isn't difficult at all. There is a process on the web, but I don't have it book-marked. It would be a lot easier directing you there rather than explaining it myself.

I've converted the following Nikkors myself: 28mm, 35mm, 43-86mm, 50mm 1.4, 50mm 2.0, 135mm, 200mm, and 300mm. To further my point, 90% of all film I shoot is slide. Perfect exposure everytime.