following error:

Cannot scan for these reasons:

- The original may not be set correctly

- The protective sheet may be in place

- The lamp may not be warmed up (needs a few minutes for adjusting

lamp on low temp).

Scanner driver will be closed

Code: 2,178,0

I have made sure that the originals are set correctly etc.etc.

Lamp has been ON for the last 60 minutes.

Any clues?

Thanks.

on the top of the slide holder is an empty space seperate from the 2x2 spaces. make sure that space is clear of anything. this is how the scanner figures out what its doing.

other than that I have no idea., had mine 2 months and haven't had a problem.

try a simple level scan in the toolbox and see if it works

Hello Upe -

Thanks for your response. Indeed, I did find that there was a tray above that needed removal. I am now able to scan slides.

Do you own (or have used extensively) the CanoScan 9950F? If yes, I'd like to get some suggestions on how to get the best quality scans. Let me know and I can send you questions offline.

Regards,

Aman

• 6 months later...

I have been scanning thousands and thousands of negatives for over a year now - but now I get the same error message you describe (including Code 2,178,0).

So no things to remove any more.

Anybody who has a clue?

(My impression is that the lamp above the negatives does not work: normal paper and prints scan fine.)

Thanks!

• 11 months later...

After much tinkering today trying to reinstall drivers about 100 times I think I found the answer:

I hadn't used my Canon 8000F for scanning slides/film for quite a few months, but had been using it for regular platen use. I got the 2,178,0 error. I found to get past it was to go to the "settings" section in Scangear (advanced version) and to click on the calibration. The top bulb in my scanner burst into light again and the scanner calibrated itself. After this I could scan slide/film!

I hope this helps,

John

• 2 years later...

<p>Try the easy thing first: You have to choose between scanning film/slides or scanning documents/photos. Documents/photos require the platen (white plastic shield, or "protective sheet") while for film/slides the platen must be removed. If you are trying to scan documents/photos but accidentally selected film/slides, you will get an error message similar to that below; so make sure you have selected<br>

documents/photos -> platen is attached<br>

film/slides -> platen is removed<br>

This is for Canon 8800F CanoScan but probably is similar for other models.</p>

ScanGear message:<br />

Cannot scan for these reasons -

<br />

- the original may not be set correctly.

<br />

- the Protective Sheet may be put in place.

<br />

- the lock switch may not be released.

Scanner driver will be closed.

<br />

Code: 2,178,0

• 5 years later...
<p>I've had a Canon CanoScan LIDE 100 flatbed scanner which has worked perfectly for six years with the supplied ScanGear driver. Today, while doing a routine scan, it suddenly stopped with the message:<br /><br /> Cannot scan because the original may not be set correctly.<br /><br />Some experimentation revealed that it fails with a U.S. $5 bill on the glass, but works correctly with any other original. Go figure.</p>