Just a comparation between EF 17-40/F4 and the Ef 18-55/3.5-5.6

Xinca

Just a simple test. Hopfully it is useful for someone.

Both at 24 ,F4,1/850s.

The 17-40/F4 is mounted on 10D and the 18-55 is mounted on the rebel xt.

I use M mode and shoot RAW format.

The photo is 100% crop with out any adjustment except the photo come

out from rebel xt is resize to the same size as the other one.

For me the result is clear:

The EF 17-40 is worth it's price!

Well, Alex, thanks for your effort but I think a proper comparison should be done with the same camera used for both lenses, and at several different aperture values, not just wide-open.

The cheapy 18-55 will clearly be outperformed at F4, but I doubt if the difference is that noticeable at F8, for example.

Another point to consider is that the L is 10 times more expensive than the kit lens - personally I'd expect more of a quality improvement from the pricier lens.

Gediminas P: If someone always want to use the lens at F8 I really do not think he need any good lens. I want to the F4 with 17-40/F4 because I need it.

I got the EF 17-40/F4 with 600US$ and the 18-55 maybe worth 100US$ so it is only 6 times expensive.

My point is if someone want to buy the EOS rebel XT or 20D maybe he should buy the body only and add 500$ to buy the EF 17-40.

Sheldon Hambrick: For my understanding if I make a big photo smaller the photo should be better. Mabybe I was worng.

Anyway I try test the both lens on rebel xt again later and post the result.

Tks.

Guys,

please remember that the 17-40 is:

a) going to last you as long as you have the canon DSLR system (note it's not EF-S, but full frame - I have blast with it on a film SLR if I really want the wide angle shot. Can't wait for a reasonable FF DSLR though)

b) it's a joy to use. Feels good. My 18-55 was OK, but this 17-40 isismply a muc nicer lens to have.

All the best

DAmian

Regardless wether this is an 'irellevant' test to some it would still be a*VERY* usefull test for others. Many potential buyers would be interested in HOW MUCH BETTER the 17-40 was (and therefore is it worth the extra $).

<P>Nice work Alex but i'm afraid the resizing thing really is a huge problem -bad enough to completely invalidate the results.Only pure 100% crops will do.ANY resizing -either up or down- absolutally massacres sharpness.

<P>Also if the 18-55 pic was taken on a film camera then the results are null and void anyway.Not because of differences between film and digital (allthough they are a strong factor) but simply because the film has to be scanned...and scanning is generally a very dodgy proposition when compared to digital capture.

<P>Thanks for the effort though! :)

<BR>Any chance you could do the test again using both lenses on the 10D?

WIll do it again but only on the rebel xt - because the EFS lens can not be mount to 10D.

The reason I did this test is actually I want to know how much better the L compare to the the most cheap lens. So I can know when I should use the cheap one and when I should use the L. You know sometime it is now worth to use the L.

Maybe the next test will be in this weekend because I also want to test the color. I have to find some place which I can test the detail and color.