Good News

opc

I made my way to Mandeville,Louisiana which is 30 miles north of New

Orleans in St. Tammany Parish. This area had extensive wind damage.

My condo only had minor damage. I will be able to use it as soon as

the electricity is back. Estimates are week to three weeks. My

fathers house in Covington which is 7 miles north of Mandeville

sustained more damage. I could not get close because of downed

powerlines. Looks like a tornado hit about hundred yards from the

house. However, I still don't know about my house in New Orleans. A

friend was able to get into the uptown area yesterday. He took

pictures which I should have tommorow by email. He said the people

looked like the walking dead. Very difficult to get around because

of water and tree damage. I am always amazed how random the damage

is from these storms. Plaquemines, St. Bernard, Jefferson, Orleans,

and Eastern St. Tammany took the brunt of the storm.

The Sovereign State of Louisiana also known as "this part of the

world" hereby offers the United States to enter into an Oil for Food

program effective immediatly with the United Nations overseeing the

treaty.

This forum is for discussion of "classic" cameras that were manufactured until 1970, independent of film format, camera type, or manufacturer. Thus, this is the place to discuss folders, box cameras, Twin Lens Reflexes, press cameras, rangefinders, and other types of cameras that are no longer prevalent. Older SLR cameras manufactured before 1970 are also on-topic in the forum.

harvey, gee I thought something more important than photography took place down on the coast. But then I always thought there was more to photography than just keeping one eye shut and pressing a little button. Glad to know I'm all wrong. Thanks for educating me. Gary Turner, you are absolutely right. How dare anybody do other than you suggest. A thousand apologies. Hell, 300,000 apologies.

The complaints about OT comments on the disaster on the Gulf Coast go a long way towards explaining the inanity of many of the posts on this forum.

Doubtless the protesters have an unlimited capacity for threads about "which button do I press to take a picture" and endless posts of sterile pictures of inanimate objects.

Apparently these purists have failed to notice that most of the photographers who made their mark cared intensely about the people and things they pointed their lens at and the world beyond them.

WJ,

Your comments are on the mark. Yes, this is a forum for Classic Cameras, but but it can also be large enough to contain our sorrow over historic and tragic events. I find it hard to concentrate on Classic Cameras under such shattering and mind-numbing circumstances. There has to be special dispensation for these truly incredible happenings. It is part of our recovery from the trauma.

never see much follow-up on the Indian Ocean Tsunami aftermath

but a participant of this community on PN interested in Classic Camera photography can probably post a note or two on his experience without edning the usefulness of this forum

I will only add that many people who post on photo net think of the people posting here as acquaintances and even as friends, so that's why it is not unusual to have once in a while personal affairs and issues being posted about in any of the many forums we have on photo net. Just as a person my post about an old Zeiss Contina and so on, he or she may one day want to share news that are good or bad. It's OK. This is just my feeling about the whole issue discussed above. It's no big deal.

Harvey, I won't post anymore. For your information my house in New Orleans is less than one mile from the convention center. Is it there? I don't know. It may be three months before I can get to it. I do know that one of people I am with lost her house because she lived three blocks from the 17th street canal where the flood waters caame in. I feel for and are praying for the people who are still in the hell hole. I am crying over the destruction of my beloved city as it now goes up in flames. Yes, I am grateful that my wife is sleeping next to me in a bed in a house with air conditioning and knowing that my children are safe. I am grateful that I finally was able to speak to my mother and three sisters this morning. That they are safe in Houston. I posted here because I like this community. It gives some respite from this surreal madness. But since you are so offended. I won't post until I can take some photo's with my retina IIIc. Does the mention of the camera make this post on topic?

"If one is going to go off topic, complaining that *both* your houses have been damaged is somewhat tasteless"

You are presumptious in assuming that Olivier did not incurr any suffering in this horrendous event. Would you rather he not be among us anymore, or would that also be an inconvenience?

We get to be pen pals on the forum, and the occasional OT post about some personal topic doesn't bother me a bit. You don't have to read them or respond. What's wrong with reaching out to the extended family for some support? If it gets out of hand we can alert the moderator.

Oliver's distress is no less real because he's fortunate enough to own multiple houses. I've previously lost my house and everything in it and it's no fun. Give the guy a break.

I apologize for my anger towards those who were offended by Olivier's posting. The remarks seemed uncharitable and grouchy. When 911 happened, all transportation was free to people trying to reach their home and loved ones. I was grateful, having walked a long trek to the first train outta Gotham. Olivier deserves a break. Thank God he's alive, and thank God his family is with him. His off topic remarks are OK with me more than the retorts agains them. BTW: I own a Contax IIa, a Contax II, a Contaflex Super BC, a Leica M3, an Agfa Super Isolette. I hope those names meet topic requirements.

I have a house full of refugees from New Orleans who have probably lost everything. Slamming anybody for posting about their losses right now is way out of line. I beleive we are all adult enough to handle a little off topic discussion right now without getting our panties in a wad.If not, well......

I was not offended by Olivier's original posting but by Bill's graceless comment to Gary. My later comment was engendered by simple irritation. I am, however, of the opinion that we should not encourage this sort of thread on this forum.

Olivier,

Your topic is absolutely OT, but OT during the horrible Katrina event should be read as ON TOPIC! Tragic events can easily change original meanings of expressions, i.e. 911 was known as an emergency telephone number, but after 9/11 those three digits took on a very specific meaning. Olivier's title is "Good News." As a member who is a resident of New Orleans, it is certainly good news that he and his immediate family are alive and safe. And what in the world is wrong about his sharing that news?

Two days ago Julian Tanase opened a thread entitled "Katrina" He prefaced his remarks with a statement that he was way OT. I didn't think so and was the first to reply in that tone. All other posters followed suit.

I think Olivier was responding to Julian's concern about his hope that no photo.net members or relatives

was harmed by Katrina.

I remember so well the superb photo Olivier took in a restaurant bar in New Orleans; it is etched in my mind as an outstanding photo. Olivier not only has Classic cameras, but he also uses them and displays his splendid results. Someone pointed out that the photo could have been made in the the 50s, except for an anachronism: the illumiated exit sign over the door. I disputed the poster's comment and went into a long OT (off topic) personal experience I had with the "Coconut Grove Disaster" when in 1942 over 500 people died in a Boston night-club fire. My point was that it was because of that horrible event, before the 50s, most states required illuminated signs at exits at all public buildings. The Coconut Grove hid their exits behind dark curtains and locked them so people couldn't sneak out without paying.

I'm so happy for you and your family, Olivier. I grieve for all those that weren't so lucky.

As I'm on my soap box, I'll tell about another tragic event. I was working at MIT when President Kennedy was killed. The Instrumentation Lab designed the inertial navigational system for the Apollo Program, which JFK initiated with a goal to put a man on the moon. When the news was heard of JFK's assasination, everybody in the lab was stunned by the news and stopped working, except one optical engineer who felt that the event should not interfere with his routine work and thought everybody else was just too emotional.

BTW I did my pre air-cadet basic training at Keesler Field in Biloxi, Misssissippi in 1944 and went to New Orleans on week-end passes. I only went back once since, but that city left an indelible impression on me. All good. My hope is that once again the spirit of the people and the city can be revived and the slogan of the city,"Let the good times roll! will fit once again and joy can once again be had in that fgreat city.

It sounds more euphonic in its earlier form: "Laissez les bons temps rouler!"

"I am, however, of the opinion that we should not encourage this sort of thread on this forum."

And I am of the opinion that this forum should be flexible enough to accomodate the occassional Off Topic Remark. For Chrissakes, man, stop counting beans and be a Mensch for a change! We are all part of a global community where the sharing of ideas and technical information can leave room for a little humanity.

By and large, we are enjoyable and helpful group, and the personal touches help to identify with the members. For instance, I group up in Niagara Falls, NY, probably not far from WJ. Like Lester, I was a grad student at MIT in 1963 (Aero-Astro and Meteorology) when JFK was assassinated. I agree with Harvey that Classic Cmaeras are and should be the main topic, but no one forces us to read every line of every thread. Not just as a meteorologist, nor just as an American, but as a human, the impact of Katrina is so massive that it will be a dominant chapter in the Earth's history for a long, long time. I also regret that more attention is not being payed to other unfolding tragedies. Let us resolve to count to 10 or something before lashing out at others. I think this is the most friendly and interesting forum in photo.net. OK, now back to cameras.

I did manage to get the copy of Amateur Photography that had the tribute to Leica in July. It described with photos two different methods of loading a Leica screwmount with film. One involved cutting the film, and the other made use of a business card to slide between the film and the shutter while loading the film. I had some badly out of date film, so I thought I would practise the business card method. It was still a bitch, and I got it wrong the first two attempts. I suggest that with the business card method, it is also helpful to cock the shutter and release it while the shutter speed is set to "T". This allows one actually see if the fil is going in straight and not slightly slanted with regard to the opening. By doing so, am I exposing any internal mechanism to possible damage from the business card or the edge of the film? Any other helpful hints?

Thank you.

Kerry, when I load my IIIf first of all I meditate for awhile, but I have tried only the cut the leader approach, which works well enough. The second method is I believe described somewhere on the cameraquest site. I recall reading it over a couple of times and my brain locking up, so I stuck with trimming the leader.

Harvey, I forgive you for judging me. I am sure your comments have demonstrated the meaning of grace perfectly.

Under the circumstances the occassional off topic post should not be a big deal for anyone. If you don't think the post interests you, don't read it. This is a tragedy that has directly affected a number of our members,our little community if you will. If all you have to do to show some human decency and compassion is be silent about a post that is not relevant to your life, then step up to the plate and do it.