M6 A La Carte

Hello Bill,

There's obviously a new top-plate, but the shutter speed dial is not a full-metal one, like on the MP. The lens-release botton is also the same as the normal M6...

By the way, what's the "à la carte" price, excluding viewfinder upgrade?...

Regards,

Leo

The shutter speed dial is not M6TTL, but M6 "classic". Sorry, but this is evidence.

What intrigues me moste is (exept the price, of course) the body covering. At a first glance, this is VULCANIT!!! I heard somewhere that this vulkanit is not the same that it used to be at Leica golden age. Sort of a "fake-vulkanit", wich appears to be rather a banal leatherette... Bill, can you confirm this?

No, it's not Photoshop! It started off as a black M6 classic. I recovered the body myself with Aki-Asahi's "Pebble Emboss." Sometime later I sent it to DAG for the finder upgrade and decided to have a new M4 top plate put on it. The shutter speed dial, frame counter window, and flash socket are from the M6 (the second socket was added of course); the rest of the parts are (black chrome) from DAG. The only thing I've changed from the original pictures posted is the RW lever (see below) to match the style of frame preview selector. As to what it cost me... I can't tell you because I haven't received the bill yet. However, I can tell you it will be in the neighborhood of $500-600 (everything included).<div>00D8C8-25045184.jpg.ec4e9a27faec002c7d433ae325199ba6.jpg</div>

The future ain't what it used to be ...

– Yogi Berra

The only thing I can't figure out is where the shutter speed dial came from. It has the same direction of rotation as a classic pre-TTL Leica, but not the knurled edge. Instead, it has the milled edge of a TTL or M7 dial, and looks to be as tall. Because of the classic direction of rotation, it can't be a TTL dial. And I think it's too small for a TTL, as well.

What's up with that?

Jerry: Yes, all M4s had two flash sockets - one for flash bulbs and the other for electronic flash. The flash bulb socket is functional here for another electronic flash.

Rob: I never claimed it to be anything but a classic M6. The shutter speed dial was an original part - it's a standard classic M6 dial.

The future ain't what it used to be ...

– Yogi Berra

Hello Bill Blackwell,

Me too, I've wanted since the very 1st time I saw an M6 as well!!

1/ M3 film advance level! (A must for leica M). 2/ an internal film advance level brake, so the level doesn't hurt the speed dial like M3 and M2 did. 3/ M4 film rewinding crank (all metal parts). 4/ M3, M2 style film rewind level. 5/ M3, M2 style frameline selection level. 6/ foucsing patch white-out fix (i put a piece of 3M polarized filter behind the middle window... this filter used for mobile phone screen normally, but it does work). 6/ leica logo in black! (Black matches better the chrome or black lens).

I would like to replace the cover with a real leather later from cameraleather.com...

fot the moment it cost me around $150 (camera not included).<div>00D8yr-25065284.jpg.d760120ca879de041a4977b101e2d30e.jpg</div>

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
For 50mm lenses Leica has lately furnished the same hood as for 35mm lenses. Actually they are not as effective as on the 35's, but the rectangular hoods are so much more effective than the circular 12585 and its clones that it is still a plus. Before rectangular shades became available I used to put a rectangular mask in the shade to get rid of the extraneous light above, below, and to the sides of the format. It was effective but I have found the 12526 and similar to be adequate for most uses. Of course the 'barn-door' is the most effective shade Leitz has ever furnished, despite its first prize for ugly!