exposure question

The medium speed can be altered with digital cameras: it's the ISO sensitivity setting. The

actual speeds available depend on the camera. The Nikon D70, for instance, has settings

from ISO 200 to ISO 1600-equivalent sensitivity.

Digital's great, isn't it?

The range of settings that can be achieved depends on the camera. Canon's new 5D, as an example, offers all values from 100 to 1600 in 1/3 of a stop, plus 50 and 3200 as "expansion". You can use a different setting for each frame. Those values are reliable as far as hand-held metering as concerned.

"Those values are reliable as far as hand-held metering as concerned."

I disagree, at least in my case. I look at "digital" film speed the same way I look at traditional film speed; use it as a guide. I use an IST DS and find that if using the in camera meter or an external meter I usually need to overexpose by 1 stop to get the images I want and to avoid more post processing then I want to do (I shoot raw).

Alan

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

That link may help you.

A lot depends on at what level you are working and if you have your computer/monitor adjusted to industry standards, and frequently check your monitor to correct it as it changes with use, and maintain a constant viewing area arrangement.

Or do it in a rough and ready empiracle way.