Problem with Hexar AF

ray .

I checked the camera manual, no info on this:

Readout says ISO +-, and beneath that in larger script: 1/8[8.8].

No response when putting film in the camera or turning on and

off. Holding the select button down, readout is "E 30". I've

removed the battery and replaced it, no change. There's no "bc"

message which would indicate low battery. I put a roll through

the camera yesterday and this occured after rewind.

Seems I have a dead Hexar on my hands. Or does anyone know

a fix?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know the hexar, so I'm shooting in the dark here: did you leave the battery out for a long time (say 4-5 hours)? Some of these critters have capacitive hold up for voltage that will keep them locked up for a good long time.

Does the hexar have DX film sensors? Maybe dress those out with some alcohol on a q-tip. If it can't make sense of those contacts, it might be giving some sort of error.

Vaguely recall that Grant and Ed, both of whom have (or had ?) Hexars, also knew some secret fixes.

Of course, before they tell you how to fix your Hexar, they'll tell you it's hopeless and they'll try to buy it from you as a parts camera for about $5.99 -:)

Ray, it seems like you should consider another forum if you want an answer that is actually helpful. The snotty and useless replies here appear to be because it's not a Leica, consider the Camera Equipment Forum or even the S&D Forum where quite a few participants use the Hexar.<p>

In eleven years of using the Hexar AF (actually two of them), I've never seen a problem like this. One quick thing to try is to turn the power on, set the aperture to f16, turn the power off, and then hold the shutter release down for more than two seconds. Alternately, if that doesn't work, after setting the aperture to f16, push either the up or down buttons and see if D[FA] appears, and then turn it off and then hold down the shutter button. If any of this works, it would be because you inadvertently entered the factory servicing mode.<p>

If that fails, contact<a href="http://www.webercamera.com/home.html"> Greg Weber</a>, who knows more about Konica cameras than anyone outside Konica, maybe more than some of the people inside Konica.

Hmm, those fixes didn't work. I'll try a new battery, and probably

end up contacting Greg. Thanks.

Dennis, I had electronic problems with my M7, and it only cost

me $75 from an independent repairman who couldn't fix it, and

an additional $200 from Leica New Jersey who did. The only

reason Leica didn't charge me more was because I insisted to

them that a camera only 2-3 years old, warranty or no warranty,

shouldn't be having a major electronic break down, which is

what it had...... I could throw the Hexar out the window and buy a

mint replacement for $400-$500, including a lens that's as good

or better than a 35mm Summicron. Of course it wouldn't be a

Leica, but then again a Leica isn't a Hexar. I know you know it's

all about the photos you can make with the cameras anyway, not

what brand name is printed on black metal. Hexar AF's are

capable cameras. Some absolutely great pictures have been

made with them.;)

My Bessa L just keeps on truckin', not even a rangefinder or framelines to worry about, but I never look through the viewfinder anyway. It does have a meter, pretty damned accurate too, always within half a stop or so of my guess. And the battery is the same one it came with 4 years ago. Simplicity is bliss.

We all know the brand name in this forum. It's great, almighty and down right expensive. You know I know what it all adds up to. But all these do and should not confer any privilege to belittle any other picture-taking cameras, disposable included. Personally I have had left the grand M's and R's behind on many occasion and chose the auto-focus N's and C's for their auto-focus, auto-metering and auto everything. Simple reason. My percentage of getting the shots are so much higher, albeit they may lack the bokeh and colour rendition, edge sharpness or what-have-you if I had chosen Leica glass instead. But I could have missed those shots if I need to set focus or set the exposure manually there and then. Magic moments? Hardly. A 12"x18" print taken with my any other brand camera displayed on my coffee table speaks well over the other guy who failed to get it, even his could have been so much better IF ONLY he got it too with his you-know-what brand. My 2 cents.

I remember seeing something very similar if not the exact same code when I first tried to add the silent feature to my hexar. I turned it off and started the process again, and the error went away. I think the steps are on the same page as photo.net's review of the hexar.

Good luck. It's a fine camera.

"But all these do and should not confer any privilege to belittle any other picture-taking cameras, disposable included."

Who's belittling other cameras... disposable included? Ray suggested that at a cost of $400-$500 he could throw a broken Hexar out the window and replace it with another one. All I said was that it seems rather expensive to treat a Hexar like a disposable camera.

As for my "try a Leica" comment, a sturdy old all-mechanical Leica doesn't have problems with auto focus, auto exposure or anything else electronic. I'm with Al... simplicity rules. If God had intended us to use auto focus he wouldn't have given us eyesight and fingers. ;>)

BTW, this little winking smiley face, ;>), means "I'm kidding". Methinks people are sometimes a bit overly sensitive to a little good-natured ribbing. For them might we suggest the Sensitive Guy Forum. ;>)

Hey, Dennis, remember 12th Night? I had my Hexar AF, loaded with TMZ, shooting without a flash, and I ran into a guy who was using a Hexar manual focus shooting with a flash. I showed him my camera, and he said "I prefer to think for myself." I guess manually focusing while letting the camera do everything else is thinking for yourself.

John:

I remember that night very well. But you may also recall that I didn't speak to either one of you Hexar users. I find that Hexar users, particularly when they get together, are rather elitist gear-head snobs... always talking about how superior their precious Hexar cameras are. I was busy taking pictures, you may remember, while you two were debating the relative merits of your Hexar cameras. Remember, John... it's not the camera, it the the scantily-clad girl you're taking a picture of, that matters. ;>)

<i> I'm with Al... simplicity rules.</i><p>

Ah, so next time you want to go cross country perhaps you

should take a horse. Only thing you'll have to do is feed, water,

and clean up after him. Or better yet, just walk. Most of the rest

of us will take what's called an <i>airplane</i>. They were

invented about a hundred years ago. I wouldn't suggest it to you

fellas though, these contraptions run electronically and can

sometimes break down. ;)

"Dennis keeps plugging Leica though I've rarely seen him with one."

STFU, Chris... time for you to leave if you're gonna spread nasty rumors. Just because you saw me yesterday with my cheapo Voigtlander Bessa T... ;>)

Your invitation to join John and me at The Bridge Lounge is seriously in jeopardy, Chris... so watch it. ;>)