Full feature Nikon body and still use Ai lenses

ken_kartes

Depends on what you mean by "same features". If that includes 5 AF points AND a built-in speedlight, then NO.

If you omit the built-in speedlight, then the current bodies listed above by Shakil fit the bill.

If you can live with a single AF point, then you have many more options - F4, N90, N90s, N70, N8008, N8008s, N6006. Of these, only the F4 will matrix meter with AI lenses (all others will default to center-weighted metering).

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/nikoncamera.htm

I should add that in real world practical use, the N90s is actually a better auto-focusing camera than the N80 for most subject matter. So, with an N90s, you really only end up sacrificing built-in flash, and one other feature that others haven't mentioned - the full use of VR and G lenses. The lack of VR support is, at least to me, much more of an issue than the lack of a built-in flash. Nonetheless, I personally went with the N90s rather than the N80 specifically so I could use and meter with AI and AIS lenses. I think it's a reasonable tradeoff. The F100 is better, but a minty N90s sells for ~$200, while a minty F100 sells for ~$450.

The F4, as slow as the AF technology is today, is probably the best platform for using manual focus Nikkors since all metering options are available. They're darn good bodies that'll last and last. Find a good one, have it serviced while Nikon still works on them and you'll be using it a good, long time.

Used with AFS lenses, the AF performance is boosted quite a bit on the F4. Back when I had mine, AFS lenses weren't available except in the very expensive optics I would never have been able to buy.

My advice is: do not get an F4.

In fact I love this camera and use it alongside an F3, but for use with AI lenses only, there are better choices.

Arguments? Matrix metering is not as good as you nowadays expect from an electronically controlled camera. No reason to get an F4 there. Center-metering is as good as on any of above-mentioned models.

And this camera has some serious problems with metering through 'diffcult' lens set-ups, such as macro lenses with extensions tubes. And telelenses with converters. A good reason to stay away from the F4 if you are looking for something that suits your needs.

Mmmmm... Get an F90X, F100, F5, or possibly an F6.

good luck

i was in the same boat you were and was able to compare different bodies....here were my

conclusions

F4 - great BUT heavy! even with the smallest battery pack it'll kill you after a few

hours...loved the knob controls though

n90s - high on the list except the ones i tested had what seemed to me real loud

shutters..nice heft though a little too light

f100 - get it...no question...meters well with AI lenses...perhaps the best nikon i've

personally tried...i usually shoot in manual but the cool thing is you can look down on the

LCD and see the meter jump to give you a sense of the exposure...controls are well laid

out...rubber grip is great...feels like BMW in your hand...