Mamiya 65mm f4.5 and Landscapes

anthony___1

I have a Mamiya RB67 and a 65mm f4.5 (older) lens. Is this much of a

combination for landscape photography? Is DOF sufficient? I've

just started shooting it so experience so far is limited.

I've head some negative comments concerning Medium Format 6X7 for

landscapes...your opinion is appreciated. Would a different lens for

the RB be more suitable? Thanks.

The term "landscape" covers such a diverse area that it is difficult to narrow down the lenses used for this to a certain angle of view or focal length. I use lenses from 45mm to 600mm on my 6x7 for landscapes. It all depends on what you are trying to show. Your 65mm should have an angle of view around 70 degrees and DOF from about 6' to infinity. What's important is whether this lens will give you the style of landscapes you are seeking. SR

Anthony, Whoever told you that MF 6x7 is not good for landscapes had his head where the sun don't shine; nothing could be further from the truth. I don't know the particular lens you refer to, but as to the focal length, I shoot landscapes very frequently with the 65mm lens on my Mamiya 7 (a 6x7 camera), and I find it a wonderful and most useful general-purpose landscape and outdoor focal length; in fact, I use it as my "normal" lens in preference to the 80mm. Knowing something of the quality of Mamiya MF lenses, I'll bet your 65/4.5 is an excellent lens. Forget the negative comments you've heard and give that lens a good workout on a variety of landscapes (preferably using Fuji Velvia). I'll bet you'll be very pleased with the results.