OT Waxcotton or Goretex?

socke

Volker, I've never even seen a coat that requires waxing! Patching, yes, but waxing, no. Around here the only thing that gets waxed are skis and motorcycles (and maybe legs, I'm not sure).

I wear a waterproof hat by Tilley and a rain suit by Wetskins with many pockets to lose little things in.

Keep Smiling!

Gup.

You must be getting old. Gore Tex has been around in coats and stuff for almost 30 years

now.

All kidding aside, I like real Gore Tex better than anything out there. I have tried other

synthetic waterproof / breathable fabrics, and none are even close to Gore Tex for

breathability or durability. I have a waxcotton shooting jacket, and the only reason I use it

is for the recoil pad and the game pocket on the back.

Now Trevor, usually I agree with what you say. However, your unprovoked attack on such a fine institution as barbour cannot go with response.

Actually, they are rather calmmy to wear and leave a very unpleasant feel to the touch. And they stain the hooey out of your seat covers but they ARE AN INSTITUTION and as such ya gotta love them. I think I have 4 of their pieces and the only one I really like is moleskin and not waxed cotton.

Also the f#####n 'Rupert' ex-army officer type (Sandhurst inbred with buck teeth, Barbour and attitude to match) who hassled me about using a tripod on National Trust property in Dorset until I threatened to explore the practicality of using a Manfrotto as a rectal probe on him!

I love my waxcotton. It's no Barbour, only Hein Gericke, classic black motorbike jacket, purchased used at a fleamarket. I wish these Australian shepherd's coats would fit better than a braking parchute.

I've got some Goretex or whatever Kevlarstretch suit too, but the lining is inconvenient and puting it on the next day I somehow feel like using a wet surfsuit when the upper material is still entirely soaked with yesterdays rain.

I couldn't convince myself to wear wax cotton trousers, I still use some made for fishermen from once yellow plastic.

Surely waxcotton is rather wrong for activitys of any kind in hot climate but at least you can see if it should be still watertight and I'd prefer another used lens over a Rukka jacket.

To walk in the rain I have a decent field gray uniform plastic raincoat. I wouldn't buy Barbours pedestrian product line and can't stop wondering why all these great bikers coats from the 50s and 60s dissapeared.

Gore-Tex is not the be-all and end-all in breathable waterproof gear. Yes Gore-Tex is very waterproof, but sometimes you need more breathability than it offers. I've been soaked from the inside when wearing a Gore Tex jacket while backpacking in the Rockies. And I stopped using a Gore-Tex ski jacket after a miserable season. By lunchtime the inside of the jacket would be dripping wet. And this is in Colorado, where the relative humidity rarely registers on any scale. My current ski jacket probably wouldn't stand up to a squall, but it keeps me dry - outside and inside - on the slopes. I forget what North Face calls the technology, but it works. And for a lot less than the Gore-Tex equivalent.

For walking the dogs on a damp cool day, my quilt-lined waxed cotton jacket is very comfortable indeed. If it's peeing down hard enough to need a Gore-tex, the dogs and I stay inside.

C&A green polycotton jacket for Spring and Autumn (30 quid) and a Hilfiger Urban Survival jacket for the winter (80 quid in the House of Frazer sale)

I do own a 'Royal Scot' heavy wax coat which is to a Barbour as a Leica is to a Yashica but now I don't live near the moors it seldom gets used.