Photo Backpack for "extreme" sports

cwolfrom

I have a lowepro which is pretty good and durable. The top compartment has an open area

for a small amount of supplies, I usually pack a light rainjacket, towel, etc. The bottom will

probably hold all your equipment except two big bodies.

I can get heavy if you're carrying all that stuff and hot too. And don't forget to zip the

bottom compartment with all the gear especially if you are given to carrying the pack

using only one shoulder strap. Learned the hard way that gravity happens--dropped a

20D, luckily only the filter broke, but my lens had to be cleaned and repaired --now has

minor scratches on the lens.

Also there is an outside compartment for tripod, mono, or juice/water bottle if you want.

Hope this helps. I do recommend this pack. It has a waist clasp as well. Good balance.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?

O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=301645&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

J.

I have an older Burton AK photographers pack that has room for the camera gear you mention, a shovel, probe, water, and straps my snowboard on the outside. I ride snowmobiles w/ it and snowboard/hike with it. My only complaint is not much room for an extra layer inside. I think they make a similar smaller one now that may only fit one body but you might find the older one on e-bay (dark blue). I looked at the DaKine at the same time and it looked like it would fit the bill too but the Burton was larger.

Hi there

I have an still sometimes use the Burton Ak pack

It will hold all the photogear needed.

I did where out one of the zippers. I now use a pack by Ogio.

It is slightly smaller/lighter. Niether really provide proper padding between the

lid and gear(if you have anything..ie shovel..etc) in the outer pocket.

As stated before water is best carried seperate.

Most camelback type units have problems with the hose freezing.

I also have k2 camera pack.

It's a very heavy duty pack, but heavy is the key word.

Add safety gear, snowboard, poles, cramp ons.......heavy

Good luck

and bring a couple of towels to wipe gear with

Daren

I am also very interested in finding a good backpack while skiing. One that will protect even if an accident happens (fall,...). I've been looking at hard shell backpacks... like the ones from axio (www.axio-usa.com) or boblbee (www.boblbee.com). Anybody tried those? Maybe it would be possible to fit a waterproof compartment inside. If you think no backpack can really protect equipment if a fall occurs, I would be glad to hear about it too. I wouldn't risk it then.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Fentiman,

I am wondering about your heavy heavy duty K2? Is it last year's photoglacier, or one from

a previous season? Other than it's weight are you satisfied with it? If you would ever like to

get rid of it would you sell it to me? Anyone else out there want part with one?

Angela from the Hakuba, Nagano, Japan backcountry

• 4 weeks later...