Whats your favorite MF camera.

troyammons

Oh, this is one simple matter: mine is Bronica GS-1 system

The reason for one to be my best MF ? Just because this is the only one I have had cance to own and still have it. :-)

I think the best gear is the one you actually have and use, unless you're fortunate enough to be able to swing through several setup for new experiences.

Alex

I used to have an extensive Pentax 6x7 system. I now use a

Mamiya 7II with a 65mm lens. Both are great cameras. Both

have their limitations. One is not necessarilly better than the

other. It all depends on your shooting style, and how you intend

to use the camera. Tell us more, and we'll be able to offer better

answers.

<br><BR>

Scott

<br><BR>

See my photography <a href=http://scottridgeway.net>here.</a>

Pavel obviously cares more about flexibility than about portability. Actually, there are so many Medium Format systems that are optimized for different purposes that I personally could not isolate my needs to a single MF system.

I really like my Mamiya RZ67 system for many purposes, but sometimes I just need something basic, portable and mechanical, and for that, I would choose a Rolleiflex 3.5F.

My favourite is my old Yashica-Mat which I never use any more. It's the lightest MF camera I have, has a (Yashinon) lens which has never ever ever disappointed in any respect, is the quietest camera I've ever used, and is the only MF camera I've ever owned that has never broken.

So why don't I use it? Well, a Hasselblad /RB67 /M645 /Rolleiflex SL66 /C330 is so much 'better'. Right?

Webster

I've only used the pentax 67 and the rb67, so my opinion is not overly well informed, but I've been very happy with the RB's. Complete PRO-s kits are starting to show up on ebay for very reasonable money. They're built like a brick outhouse, but weigh much like one too. Thats not really a downside for me. I've grown fond of it's heft and it can be used to advantage. I like the rotating back. The built in bellows makes every lens a macro lens. Right or wrong, it forces you to be more involved with the picture process, much like a view cam will. It's not for the "spray and pray" crowd (although that can be said of most MF cameras). I got mine originally for landscape and they can be very effective at that using the 50 or 65mm lenses. I don't think i'd drag mine up a technical mountain climb (not that I'm ever going to make one), but for day hikes with a decent pack they totally work.

They do shine with studio work, and there's nothing like blowing up or scanning that 6x7 (nominal) neg. They actually cover 8x8 and I think they're now producing a 6x8 film back. Mamiya has really gone out of their way to insure compatibility, and there's only 2 of the new lenses that won't fit ALL the RB bodies ever made (and all older lenses are forward compatible). Same with film backs, viewfinders, screens, whatever. Like all things mechanical, they want periodic service. If you tend toward having poor manual dexterity, this may not be the camera for you (although that can also be said of most MF cameras).

If you've got gobs of money, you can even put a ccd back on one.

For emotional attachment (read: "love") I Love the way my old Rolleiflex SLX 2 feels and sounds when it fires. Talk about the Mercedes door-slam experience.... My new 6003 doesn't hold a candle to it. There's somehthing more basic and primal about handling it, even though it is motorized, electronic and now, very dated. But I still like it and will never forget that first ker-plunk-thunk in my palms. And of course, all those wonderful interchangeable lenses!

Cheers,

Ray Hull

Steve B , aug 09, 2005; 02:36 p.m.

Given a choice between option A and option B (instead of all the C's, D's E's etc. floating around) what are you planning to use it for and will the lenses fit into your budget?

Not really interested in a budget, I was just curious about peoples favorite MF camera.

>>>>

give me a break

paul angulo , aug 09, 2005; 05:54 p.m.

the P6x7II can't shake a stick at the Mamiya 7. This is not a fair comparison. Do you prefer the Yugo or the BMW. Com'on guys..

Well, I thought that too, until I shot them side by side with E100G.

Some of the Mamiya lenses, like the 43mm, are much better especially WO and I would say that lens is much better than the P67 45mm lens, but the latest P67 300mm EDIF lens is one of the sharpest lenses I have ever used on any camera period, and IMO just as sharp as any M7 lens. Too bad they did not revamp all the P67 lenses. Also they are just two different systems. Even though a few of the P67 lenses are just as good as M7 lenses, IMO, it is easier to get a good clean shot with a M7 RF due to the P67 big mirror and shutter shake. Its MLU and tripod for the highest picture quality with the P67, but the M7 is almost like a giant P+S.

Actually I think they complement each other pretty well. Hiking with a P67 is a heavy haul.

My favorite is the one in my hands.

Some do different jobs better. For portraits, one of my tlrs. For nature shots, my Mamiya 645 with a long lens. For landscapes I might pull out the heavy 6x6 (or maybe just go straight to the 4x5!).

My most used? That would be the Mamiya 645, for its versatility, and the old Yashica 44, for its light weight and ease of handling. You see, I can never pick one.

Hmmm, I hate to choose favorites but I think I have the most fun with those old medium-

format folders. Unlike my RB, can carry one around with you anywhere -- mine fits into my

laptop carrying case -- they take great pictures and they're a fun conversation starter.

On my wish list is a 6x9 folder but I haven't decided which one yet.