If you were going into the jungle for 4 weeks...

rehor

If you were, what system(s) would you take.

You and your team are photographing cats, reptiles, birds, mammals,

natives, and the river. We all have some idea about the size of these

things.

You have a choice of digital, 35mm, medium format, and large format.

You have a budget of USD $ 20,000.00 on the second hand market for

photo equipment only - bodies and lenses - not counting film,

batteries - but say counting also for things like meters, tripods,

dark changing bags etc, computers and flash drives etc and

waterproofing equipment.

Lets just say that you can calculate this on second hand and new

values for the bodies and lenses only, (not the meters tripods and

what not), because there may be a system not produced now which you

would take with you that is only available second hand.

What do you buy?

I'd take the 35mm Nikons I already have, all the Provia I could carry, and buy two more lenses with the rest of the money: an 80-200/2.8 AF-S Nikkor; and the 17-35/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. Camera "raincoats".

I really don't *need* anything else, tho' I might want other stuff. A better tripod, altho' my Slik 300DX legset and Velbon PH-273 head are just fine. I would like a good QR for the ballhead, not because I need to quick change anything, but for a more secure hold. I nearly lost my FM2N and 300/4.5 AI ED the other day when the rig rotated around the lens tripod socket while I carried the tripod mounted gear over my shoulder. No matter how much I tighten the bolt the corked platform doesn't provide enough friction for this particular camera/lens combination. The add-on Velbon QR is no good - it just fits atop the existing platform. It's gotta be a whole replacement platform that bolts through the ball itself.

Much as I like my D2H dSLR I didn't get it for "fine art" photography. It's an ace at action photography. But Provia can beat it in terms of resolution, grain and contrast.

<I>You and your team are photographing cats, reptiles, birds, mammals, natives, and the

river.</i><P>

Cats aren't mammals? For that matter, "natives" aren't mammals?

<P>Seriously, more information is needed. Are these animals captive or otherwise

controlled, or free-living? Nocturnal or diurnal? Can you find them reliably or will

encounters be random? Close or far? Big or small? Do you have access to a dependable

power source (for computers etc.) or are you relying on batteries? How many images do

you contemplate taking during this sojurn? How are you going to move around? On foot?

By boat?<P>

Other things being equal I'd prefer a digital system (no film to carry, better high ISO

performance -- in fact, with a good DSLR, better all-around performance than 35 mm

film), but if you are power limited that may not be a valid solution. Film or digital, in the

"35mm" arena you should be getting high-end (weather-resistant) equipment.

There are some DSLR's with excellent 'low light / high ISO' characteristics (low noise level), capable of photographing subjects without the use of flash (big plus). For 'jungle' (aka tropical rainforest) photography this is mandatory, for me. You will still need a flash unit(s).

An image stabilzed 300mm f/4 prime + 1.4x TC would be high on my list... seeing as I have $20K to work with. :) Seriously, a handholdable prime would be a blessing. Bring the tripod though, as you'd still need it for low light conditions (common, especially since so much photography is done early and late in the day). You'll still need a longer prime (like 500mm), but will be limited in long distance mobility due to weight. So, it's good to have both the 300 and the 500, if you can pack it all and move it and not have to worry about it too much. This is just for the wildlife side of things... where the main bulk of equipment comes into play.

Most of the $20K would be spent for getting me on location in the wild places. :) -Greg-

I take my usual Nikon kit on my field trips. Two bodies, five lenses, a couple flashes and a macroflash rig, and a tripod. KM for the macroflash rig, ISO 100 E6 for everything else. Sometimes, not often, TMX too. Camera bodies and lenses travel in a Pelican case with, sometimes but not always, dessicant.

I also used to take two S8 Beaulieus and an S8 Canon with a couple of longer lenses, a wide angle attachment, and a macro lens for the Beaulieus. All in a Tundra imitation Pelican case with, sometimes but not always, dessicant. And an Eumig Nautica. It all got to be too much to carry and use, especially when working single-handed, so I stopped taking the cine gear.

What would I take if I had unlimited funding? Same old. I've found my limit.

Gear is nice, more gear is nicer, but there are limits. I remember one evening in the old Managua Intercontinental, must have been in 1992, when a couple of vans of film crew turned up. The crew made a huge pile of battered aluminum gear cases in the lobby, put a fairly new 35 mm Arri on top of it. Your $20k won't get you near that camera, let alone everything else they had and used. More gear means more people to carry, set up, and operate. That's part of the charm, at least for me, of Super 8 and 35 mm still. No or minimal crew needed.

Understand, now, the main object of my field trips is NOT photography.

Rehor, you really should be more thoughtful when asking questions. The ones you've asked must have made hair grow on your palms.

Cheers,

Depends on if I have a generator or other means of recharging a digital SLR. Digital is nice because of the low-light performance (jungles are pretty dark) but operating without electricity for a month is a problem.

Otherwise, I'd take two EOS 1V's, a 300 f/2.8 IS, a 500 f/4 IS, a 70-200 f/2.8 IS, a 24-70 f/2.8, a 16-35 f/2.8, and 100 macro. I haven't added that up, but hopefully there's enough left to hire a porter.

We are all missing the point here: There is no satisfactory answer because Rehor Rehor

who, with all due respect to since I don't know him, has no idea what he results he wants

out of his gear or this trip. You might as well ask the question "I'm going to be driving in

Europe and need a vehicle for the streets, mountains, or Autobahn and I might only be

carrying another person, but also might need to haul as many as 25 passengers. It could

run on gas, diesel, or CNG and could be a car, SUV, or motorcycle". Rehor, why don't you

define your priorities a little more specifically?

My guess is that he is trying to propose a hypothetical situation in which people will reveal their preference in terms of format and medium. For me, he has given enough information. If power is available for recharging batteries and downloading to a storage device or laptop, I'd favor high-end digital gear with perhaps one 35mm body as back-up. If there will be limited access to power, I might go with the F5 and an FM2n as backup.

So, in summary, I favor digital if the power needs are fulfilled. If not, I favor 35mm film.

Mr Jackson is right.

Yes, and cats are mammals, and the native population of the middle of South America are people, (and we are all mammals yes?).

The post is about what you would take. Forget electricity - it doesn't exist there or can't be relied upon.

But what format would you take with the money, how many bodies, what lenses, and how many lenses. Most of the jungle is best seen by boat.

It's not exactly a Nat Geographic budget for equipment (remember the whole trip will cost a lot more), but what would you take nonetheless.

BTW interesting article about the irish gentleman in the Solomon Islands - a place that has reliable electricity, esp if you are travelling as he was (around the relief organisations)

I didn't see what you want to do with the end product...show slides; publish for a magazine, book or trade organization; print exhibition work, or just have nice photographs to treasure and share with friends. The answer to this question would guide my choice. I usually would recommend a top notch 35mm film (Leica, Nikon, Canon)camera or DSLR, with a backup. However, if this was for professional recognition, I would go with medium format & lots of film. Spare rechargeable batteries, Good meter, tripod, gradient filters, polarizer, if digital a flashdrive with solar charger, 1-2 collapsible reflective screens, protective gear for your equipment.

Personally, I agree with Mr. Jackson, except that I would take a F3 insted of a Fm2n. That is based on my non-photographic, but rather, military experiences in that part of the world. You need tough cameras, and in my opinion, digital is just TOO tempramental for that extreme enviroment. Then again, this could be another "what if" question baited under anothers alias...

Take extra batteries and DONT leave them in the camera!

Check out the Sept/Oct issue of American Photo magazine and you will be set to go to any jungle. Magnum photographer Nick Nichols has lots of greeat images from a trip to central Africa and he lists and displays all of the equipent he brought, camera equipment, water-proof gear, food etc.

Rehor Rehor, who really should have known better, wrote "Most of the jungle is best seen by boat."

Huh? A boat is the best thing for getting around by water, but if you want to visit tierra firma you're going to have to walk. All that's visible from a boat is margins.

Been there, done that,

"digital is just TOO tempramental for that extreme enviroment"

This thread is somewhat dubious, but there may be a few learning points for some... who knows.

My Fuji S2 has been to the rainforests of Costa Rica, Ecuador, and Queensland, plus the swamps of Florida and more... and still works just fine. The primary reason for bringing a DSLR is so you cam see how your photography is going while you are there. Rainforests are generally tricky places to photograph in for a variety of reasons. (a lot of the best opportunities are early and late, as I mentioned above) I have seen cases where people brought slide film, shot for 2 weeks in dim conditions that needed flash (due to low ISO film), then find out they have relatively few keepers after running the results thru a lab. Obviously this is a broad generalization, but if there was ever a place where digital is a major plus... the tropical rainforest is that place. Results may vary based on use and knowhow. Cheers, -Greg-