Not a question. Please have a look in this page, GORGEOUS!

See it for yourself ... they're all belong to Thailand's Photography

Master and Professor, Surat Osathanukroh (sorry if wrong spelling).

All the classic cameras live here in Thailand

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/gallery/topic/G1953242/G1953242.html

The language is Thai so please have a look at all the pictures ...

sorry if someone's posted this before.

Todd, when you get to Thailand, call me okay? I'll see you then :)

and don't worry ... this guy is a professor ... he has tons of students who could be his assistant firing all the camera once a week or so :) He also have loads of great great pictures ... I'll post them later. I think he uses Hasselblad nowadays :)

Check this out ... this is some (of millions) of his work : http://www.rama9art.org/artisan/2002/january/vanishing/

You could search thru the net using this keywords "Vanishing Bangkok" or "SURAT OSATHANUGRAH"

Have a nice day!

ps. I especially like the gold Rolleiflex (Aurum?). I believe he has all models of Leica (which I'm not interested) but that...it's saying that he has all Rolleiflex :) The thing is, he's not just a rich collector but he's also a master of photography. So don't think all these cameras are just for showing off. He uses it :) And the other thing is ... I don't personally know him but I respect him as a photographer, not a collector.

I was intimately familiar with Olden, Ken Hansen, KEH in Atlanta, Film & Repro etc etc some 20 years ago and none of them had an inventory to equal this.

BTW Olden has re-opened in reduced quarters next store but the price are astronomical. The Soviet cameras are particularly amusing as the prices hark back to the 1980s when they were rare and exotic (most $30 cameras on EBay are being offered in the $400 range).

Ian, this forum has nothing to do with Panthip Plaza which sells IT stuffs (indeed, illegal softwares). I don't know the exact address of his place but guess it's some where around Sukhumvit which is around the university his family established. Not just the university but also a well known drugs company, Osothsapa, which is equal to international ones his family owned. These are the reasons beside his passion for the camera.

Impressive and indulgent, but bad news in a way. That great sucking sound you hear is popular photographica (often won at any cost) flowing into obscenely huge private collections for investment, creating the appearance of demand that doesn't really reflect the vast majority of potential buyers, thus overpricing the market IMO. I've been sniped so many times on eBay by high rollers that I'm saddened to think that some of the cameras I anticipated purchasing and using might now be baking under those strong fluourescent lights, far out of reach in cost and location.

Further note... because eBay hides purchaser identities, I have no way of knowing who are the high rollers who snag a lot of the sweet items, and I know that not all collectors are in that category, much less this man who is more blessed with disposable income than me. Its just that these pix bring to mind what I've suspected is the fate of many of those sniped and over-bid purchases. Were you ever angry at losing a bid when you knew you had plenty of reserve bid for a conventional market? That's what I'm talking about.

I don't really get your idea Don and I'm not trying to defend Mr. Surat. But what I'm saying is ...

Wider you mind ... he only has one for each model :) It's right to do this. You could come visti later, I believe he's establishing the museum.

FREE TRADE, isn't it what you emphasized? He's not stealing it from one another :) and it's good to know that someone's taking good care of these classic cameras which you guys and I love.

Pardon me if I didn't get your point. My English is not that fluent :) and no offense here

I recently saw the 'Vanishing Bangkok' exhibiton by Surat O. at Westlicht camera museum & gallery (run by Leicashop here in Vienna), and have to say that he is clearly putting his collection to good use. It was very obvious from the heterogeneous photos that he uses different film formats, lenses with very different footprints and of very different vintages, but since there was no info about the cameras used, I could only guess - with this link it becomes a bit clearer.

BTW, he owns the 'Shark' energy drink company (kind of a Red Bull copy), and they sponsored the exhibition.

Roman

I recognized that my first post seemed to point to Mr. Surat--please notice that I followed up to say, " I know that not all collectors are in that category, much less this man who is more blessed with disposable income than me." "Disposable income" is an English euphemism for "extra money to spend." There are many collectors on eBay who do not interact with other users, such as those of us on this list or this public collection in Thailand, as you reminded me.

I think a native English reader would understand my last sentence, but I think it is still confusing. Let me try changing the structure:

There are many collectors on eBay who do not interact with other users ("other users" being like readers of this list or the owner of this public collection in Thailand, as you reminded me).