packs and the lh2000 or lh2400 heads. I've been reading some posts

around the net that seem to imply that the Speedo Blackline 102/202

heads and the Norman 900 series heads are interchangeable and plug

compatable. The sockets look the same, but are the wiring and

voltages compatable?

Anyone able to verify this?

TIA

jim

Both the Speedo black Line and Norman 900 series systems are 900 volt systems.

You can use a Speedotron 102 or 202 head on a Norman 900 seres pack -- I did it for

years-- but the heads are not directly interchangable. The wiring to the individual

pins is different. I had a Speedo head to Norman pack adapter cable made for me. The

company that did it is no longer in business but Flash Clinic in New York City (

www.flashclinic.com ), Helix in Chicago and maybe Robal in Los Angeles should be able to

make adaper cables for you.

Even after you have your adapter, there is still one precaution to take; do not dim the

modeling light from the pack, keep it at full power.

If anyone tells you any different from this they are very, very mistaken.

• Like 1

Sorry, but this is a dumb question and I'm just being curious, please do not be offended. But what is the purpose of interchanging systems like Speedotron and Norman? It seems to me that this can be dangerous both physically to the photographer as well as the systems themselves. Why not just use Speedo with Speedo, Norman with Norman?

Yes turning down the modeling light rheostat on the pack drops the voltage goign to the

cooling fan and the modeling light, just as turning down a rheostat type switch dims a

light in a house.

The reason to use , for example, a Speedotron 202VF or 102A on a Norman pack is two

fold:

1.) greater efficiency. A while back I did some tests and found that whether I used it dirrect

or with a softbox, umbrella or indirectly , A Sppedotron 102A head was a full stop more

efficient at turningthe power fro mthe pack (watt-seconds) into light.

2.) The second reason is to use a different range of light modifiers tahn the original

system has acess to. For example the

Speedotron 202VF has a zoom or beam focusing feature that is implemented by changing

the position of the reflector relative to the flashtube. And Speedotron makes a wider

assortment of reflectors.

Yes doing this is dangerous to the pack, to the head, and to the user if you don't know

what you are doing.