Light Leaks in camera bodies

david_fields1

My camera behaves strangely on aperature/priority mode. The shutter

is not doing what the internal graph indicates - only when I cover

the viewfinder with my thumb will it "obey" - is light getting in

through the "rear" as opposed or in addition to the front(lens)?

I have to set it manually, though I'd rather have it do somewhere

inbetween a 60th and 125th per say.. this making any sense?

If this is happening when the camera is on a tripod (or away from your face), then yes light through the eyepiece is influencing the meter (many cameras have the meter cells in the viewfinder). Some cameras have a built-in eyepiece blind for this very reason, while others provide a blind which slips on over the eyepiece.

Rob,

My camera is Minolta X-700. The problem I've described started happening, ironically, after it was serviced by Minolta for a jammed advance lever - the metering was fine beforehand.

Anyway, if I keep my thumb on the viewfinder during aperature priority mode (keeping light from entering through the rear?), turning

to say f8, the graph inside says 15th sec., it'll shoot the slow

sounding ka-chink, exposing the slide well. I take covering off the viewfinder for the next frame set the same, a swift "chink" sounding

like a 125th sec ensues producing a grossly underexposed slide - even though the meter still indicates it's shooting a 15th sec. Why is my camera affected from the rear now as well as the front?

This didn't happen before I shipped it to New Jersey for something unrelated - did the repairman accidentally highjack one part of the system for another - has this happened to anyone before?