Back from Boston.

chris hughes

Thanks for all the suggestions on what to shoot. I had a great time in the city for five days.

Here's a little slide show of some of the images I took. There are a few duds in there but

that's because the site is intended more for friends and family than other photographers.

Never the less, have a look and feel free to comment on what you see!

http://www.crisphues.com/client/boston/

I'd say that's an under statement. Not only did I walk around all the places shown on the web

site but I also spent a bunch of time walking around the MFA, the Harvard museums, the

Gardner museum and a handful of other places, the photographs of which didn't make the

cut.

I used the D70S kit lens the most. It's the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-

ED. It worked fantastically as a walking around lens. The one thing I don't like about it is

the weird distortions that get into the image at the short end. You have to remember to

crank it back out to about 24mm before it starts looking right again and as you can see

from some of the images I either couldn't do that or forgot to in some cases.

The other lens I had with me was the 70-210mm f/4-5.6 non-D. It's a super crisp lens

though a little unbalanced on the D70S. I wish I had used it more but I didn't have a great

way to carry around more than one lens at a time (forgot my small shoulder bag). Some of

my favorite images from the trip came from the 70-210.

I also had my 50mm 1.8 with me but I didn't find myself in very many low light situations

so it stayed in the bag. I threw a Tamron 75-300 LD F4-5.6 in my bag as a backup for the

70-210 in case I needed it or in case I needed a little more reach but I didn't use it this

time either.

So the main work horse of the shoot was the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G

IF-ED. I'm very satisfied with the results when shooting around the middle of the zoom

range and at about f5.6 - 11. If I could do it again I'd want to have a the Nikkor 12-24mm

too but that lens is out of my price range at the moment. Between the kit, the 70-210mm

and the 50mm I was all set.