what's up with the classifieds?

I removed it. Having the link there means that every robot that hits that page clicks it and imposes an extra cost on the server. A robot is going to click the the category links anyway, one at a time, and will thereby index all the ads.

Why would a human want to look at all 1000+ ads, rather than a particular category of ads, especially when you can see all the ads posted in the last 7 days, or all the ads that are going to expire in the next few days?

The reason is humans tend to browse. What are the number of people browsing the net vs. people looking up specific items? Most people browse for hours on end and actually look up specific items a few times a week perhaps? That nokia ad is pretty annoying though you do what you got to...

i agree with leslie. there are often times when i had no idea i wanted to buy something in a particular category until i was perusing through the whole list and happened to see something that caught my eye. this view all feature was the best thing about the buy/sell board here as compared to other sites, such as fred miranda, etc. too bad it's gone :(

Really? Can you give me an example of something you actually bought (or even just made an offer on) that you just happened to notice by looking at "All Ads" that you wouldn't have otherwise found? Keep in mind that the default view is all items that are closing soon, regardless of category, and that, similarly, you can also look at all the items posted in the last 7 days.

brian - it's like going to a flea market or window shopping. lot of times you don't know what you want, but you stroll around and voila, something floats your fancy that otherwise might not have and you go for it.

I'm with the others. I don't get to the site every day and constantly used the feature "Ads posted in the last 30 days" or whatever it was. I still haven't figured out how to get past the previous three or four days to see older ads. Please add this feature again. Thanks.

Steve

As Sandor suggested, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not sure how many more complaints will be necessary to effect a change back to the old scheme. I know i haven't viewed the classifieds except for once or twice to see if i could get accustomed to the new manner (which I could not). Of course, i can put a positive spin on it - if i dont see items, no more $$$ being spent on items....