Photo Ops on Coast Between San Fran. and Seattle

gene_crumpler6

I'm planning a trip in September to fly to San Francisco and travel up

the west coast to Seattle. I'd appreciate any suggestions on locations

to do landscape photography. My strongest interest are sea scapes, but

other photogenic locations suggests are welcome. My primary interest

is B&W in MF, although I will also be shooting slides. I'll be

carrying a lot of equipment and my age will preclude any long hikes.

So access by auto is a consideration.

Thanks

I lived in Humboldt County, about 200 miles north of San Francisco, for seveal years. My suggestion would be to get off the main freeways and onto the blue highways and dirt roads.When you reach Garberville from 101 north, head west toward Shelter Cove. Ask directions to Bear Harbor...last ten miles or so is a dirt road. If you are lucky, you'll be able to photograph a herd of elk bobbing in the sea. I took my daughter there when she was four, and she still talks about the time she walked among the wild elk.The Ettersburg turnoff off the Shelter Cove road will take you by the world's largest and probably oldest madrone. It is called the Coucil Madrone. The northcoast native americans gathered beneath its boughs to discuss important issues. The local environmental community gathersthere as well to discuss ways to protect the area from chainsaws.The Ettersburg Road, which alternates between dirt and chunks of broken pavement, will take you along the "Lost Coast," through Honey Dew, Petrolia and eventually into Ferndale, a restored Victorian town close to Highway 101. Lots of opportunities for photographs here of spectacular beaches that don't require a lot of hiking.Peiffer Grove, on 101, is home to some of the world's tallest redwoods. Agate Beach, near Trinidad, a dozen miles north of Arcata, is also worth the trip. A bit farther north is Prairie Creek State Park. If you go there, don't miss Fern Canyon.Just be sure to get off the main roads. So many people's perception of this country is limited to what they can see for 400 yards on either side of the interstate.

No offense intended, but, if you are twenty and live to be 100, you may be able to cover a small fraction of the coast from San Francisco to Seattle!

Truly, there is very little on your proposed route that is not photgenic given the right weather & light...perhaps if you were more specific in your request we could give you ideas.

Gene,

I agree with the above comment about never having enough time to explore the coast from SF to Seatle. I am only familiar with the Oregon and Washington coasts and suggest you get a book called "Wind on the Waves" with photography by Ray Atkeson and his step-son Rick Schafer (including stories inspired by the photographs by Kim Stafford), or any book of coastal photographs by Craig Tuttle or Steve Terrel(sp?). This would give you a good idea of the kind of landscape you are passing through. Another excellent book is "Oregon Coast" by Rick Schafer, published by Graphic Arts Publishing Company, PO Box 10306, Portland, OR 97210. This book is probably the best for planning a trip.

But once you get north of Oregon, the Washington coast is only accesible via side-trips. The highway does not hug the coast and you have to head east for Seattle just a short ways up US 101 unless you can spend an extra two days and go around the Olympic Peninsula. The west side of Puget Sound, Hood Canal, Port Townsend, etc. is great.

"Can't miss" places on the Oregon coast are Shore Acres State Park south of Coos Bay, the dunes at Florence, Seal Rock State Park at sunset, Yaqina Bay at Newport, Cascade Head north or Lincoln City, Cape Kiwanda at Pacific City, the Three Capes Loop south of Tillamook (if the road has been fixed-it washed out this winter), Tillamook Head south of Cannon Beach, and every place in between. So much depends on the weather. If there is a storm out at sea, there is a place south of Depoe Bay, Whale Cove State Park, where you can see the most immense waves...or just flat water. It depends.

The problem is being at the right place at the right time.That's why I recommend the books. Perhaps you can pick a few special places, set up, and wait.

If I was going to recommend one place to explore in depth, it would be the Three Capes Loop between Pacific City and Tillamook.

Willapa Bay, on the east side of the Long Beach Penisula (worth visiting for being able to drive 26 miles on the beach- it's a state highway-and the old forts on the south end that used to guard the mouth of the Columbia)is interesting. Oysterville is one of the oldest settlements on the west coast and has been preserved as such.

Unless you get lucky, expect overcast skies.

Good Luck. Yours is a trip I've always wanted to take.

Gene,

As you have seen from all the posts there is more than enough places. I agree that the Lost Coast would be a must on any list. I would add to it PT. Reyes National Seashore just above San Francisco. Another great spot is Salt Point State Park. At this time of year Kruse Rhodendron Preserve is beautiful. I would say that Olympic National Park is also a must. You will find an infinite number of possibilities along the way.

Good luck and Good light to you

Chris

I spent a week earlier this month in Oregon's Southern Coast. I would

highly recommend Samuel Boardman State Park. It is a 10 mile stretch

of coastline with 11 view points and short trails (1-2 miles) leading

to great seascapes. Highlights would be Cape Ferrelo, Thunder Rock

Viewpoint, Arch Rock Viewpoint. Further north (5-10 miles) are Pistol

River State Beach and Cape Sebastian. A week wasn't enough for this 15

mile stretch of coastline. I hope you have plenty of time to get from

San Francisco to Seattle.

Morley Baer, Sexton, Muench and others have already done the coast & no more photographers are allowed to photograph there. So, spend the time in Fresno.

Come on, this one is in the archives a number of times and has been covered well. The answers now are basically the same as before. Drive & look & get out of the car & walk & find what works for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input. A week is never enough time to photograph in almost any area of the world. As a working stiff, I have to take short 1-2 week vacations and with my wife traveling with me, I can't take full advantage of the time for photography. But If I can come home with 2-3 really good shots, that I can add to my collection of B&W prints, I feel sucessful. In a few more years, I'll retire from the 9-5 routine, then I will have more time to travel and shoot.

In the last couple of weeks, I have a gallery interested in my work, so right now I am focusing on getting a 15 -20 examples of my best work together to present to them. Wish me luck!

Gene -

I live in Arcata, CA. I support all of the comments and have a couple of additions. The town of Mendicino on the CA coast and adjacent coastline is as good as it gets on the CA coast. If you drive up from SF take Hwy 1 out and up the coast. You can continue on up and connect back to 101. The views north toward Cape Mendicino are great.

Once you get up to the Eureka area I would suggest a couple of local spots. North of Eureka about 25 miles is the town of Trinidad which is very picturesque. 15 north of there is a lagoon called Big Lagoon. The spit that divides if from the Pacific is a wonderful spot for beach/driftwood shots. Just after you pass through the town of Orick you'll see a sign for LadyBird Johnson Grove. Go there. Right now is the time for all the wild rhodies to be in bloom but this is a truly maginificent old growth stand that can yield some incredible shots. Good Luck.

Lee Rusconi

The Marin Headlands at the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge Bridge is a place that is great for pictures. Shots back through the bridge towards San Francisco, and to the west of the Golden Gate.

Further north is Tomales Bay, Pt. Reyes Station and Bodega Bay. All great places to photograph. You could spend a week in this area alone.

Good Shooting.

Bob Braun

• 2 years later...
I second what has already been said about checking out Marin - the marin headlands, muir woods, some of the small towns going up the coast, etc. But if you want some really nice beach landscapes go to point reyes national seashore and check out limantour beach - its car accessible, but extends down the coast virtually forever so you can walk as much or as little as you like. Awesome cliffs dropping down into continuous stretches of beach . . .