derek_c.

I want to replace straps on all three cameras that I own.<br>

Some camera is heavy (with flash, bracket, long lens...).<br>

If there are some "good" straps you like, please share the names with

me.<br>

Or are they all just about the same?<br>

Let me know. Thank you.<br>

http://www.upstrap.com/

You need not look any further. I used to have OpTech straps, which are very good. But after checking out the Upstrap on a friend's camera I immediately replaced all of mine. They are incredible; absolutely will not slip off your shoulder with either a light or heavy camera. You can even bend over to pick up something off the ground and they don't slip.

This is the first time I've heard of the UPStrap, and it looks pretty good. So is

OpTech. Same with Domke, Tamrac, Tenba, et al. Some of the straps are all fabric (usually

cotton webbing), some have rubber woven into the webbing, some are all neoprene (they

bounce -- some people like it and some hate it). Some have a heavy duty leather padded

section. Some straps have quick release fittings so you can move a strap from camera to

camera (or two straps among three or four cameras.).

<p>I guess what I'm trying to say is... different people have different needs. I think a

strap is more like an article of clothing than a piece of equipmentmore <em>personal</em>.

I'd urge you to try 'em on and see which ones fit you (and your equipment) the best. Bring

your cameras to a store, hook up some straps, and walk around the store for a half hour or

so. If one or another is gonna cut into your neck, you'll find out in the store <em>before</em>

you buy it.

I use the Tamrac Quick Release straps... the bottom part of the QR system stays on the camera bodies; the QR shoulder straps are all interchangeable. I also have the backpack QR strap, which allows me to attach the camera/lens with the QR directly to a backpack (with its own QR strap) - great for long hikes, sice it relieves the weight from your neck.

Ditto what Jeff said.....UpStraps are great. I've got a couple and will probably get the "three set" now that the strap on my Domke F4 bag has gone to H***. All the rubber "grippers" at the shoulder have flaked off. This has happend three times with Domke bags. They simply get old and the rubber dries out and flakes off. It'll happen with their camera straps as well.

I have Tamrac quick release straps on everything. Handy to snap off the strap when the camera is on a tripod, and the plastic fittings don't mar the equipment if you stuff it into a bag or case. They seem pretty strong and comfortable, and they hold a Nikon F with a big lens and a flash just fine.

To accompany a lens order, I bought a bundle of Tamrac straps from KEH for some silly low price with shipping same as the lens alone. Three of the five were the really nice quick release ones, and the other two were OK. If you don't mind taking a little chance it might be worth checking out, especially if you're ordering something else anyway, since the shipping rate is fixed.

I have a Tamrac - a wide neoprene with additional looped stretchy web with the QR snaps and an Optech, stretchy narrower neoprene only. I believe I added it's qr fasteners. I think the neoprene can be a little sweaty at times. The QR buckles, other hardware both metal and thermoplastic, and various webbing sizes are available at sporting goods and surplus stores, etc., so you can easily add them. I'm not convinced I like the stretchiness, it's not too noticeable on the Fuji S602 which now wears the narrow strap but the KM 7D is heavier and bouncier. Not that it's not safe, but I worry about trying to snake through crowded areas and keeping a camera bag, a monopod and a bouncy big camera all in hand and bonking as few people as possible. For years I've used a wide strap of various types slrs and the weight spreading action of wide, soft webbing or neoprene is welcome compared to many of the standard straps. While I don't think straps under shoulder straps are needed, sewing a button on the top of the shoulder of the shirt isn't a bad idea.

I also like the Optech, and the Promaster (which appears to be a rebranded Optech). There is another strap which is supplied by Nikon for their heavy 7X50 binoculars when worn around the neck. It is even more comfortable than the Optech. I can find no part# on mine, so if you are interested you will have to contact Nikon directly.

I have to admit that the Upstrap looks very appealing.

I am guessing you could add swivels that you could get at a hardware store. My only concern is that the swivels, if metal, might end up scratching the camera body?

I like my OpTech Pro strap. The neoprene is comfy, and I like how there is a stretchy strap that runs the entire length of the neoprene section. Plus it has quick releases that also connect together to make a smaller hand strap.

I've used all the above. In my mind the most comfortable I've ever used is made in Italy by "Luigi" for the Leica camera series. He typically sells them for about $50 (USD)+ S&H. Do an Ebay search for "Leica Luigi". I've used them on a Nikon DSLR & Bronica medium format as well as Leica. Plus they're really beautiful.