sam_portera

I have been looking into getting a DSLR to accompany my f100 and

nikon lenses. I would really like the D2x but 5k is a bit steep for

me. I have held the D70 several times and I just can't get used to

that squinty little viewfinder and the lack of a vertical grip. No

one that I am aware of carries the Fuji cameras locally so I have

never seen one in person. Is the viewfinder on the S3 better (I mean

bigger) than that of the D70? How about image quality on the S3. I

would rarely go beyond 12x18 for portraits.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sam,

Unfortunately, the S3 finder is very similar to the D70 finder. I happened to be in my local store while the Fuji rep was making his rounds. I was treated to a nearly 1 hour demo of the S3 capabilities and came away very impressed with the image quality. I think Fuji got it right with the S3 sensor.

The big turn offs were the slow focus speed and the finder - not horrible at the D70 price point, but hard to take at the $2000 price point.

If you want the DSLR most like your F100, I would recommend a used D1X, which run typically $1200-1800 used, depending on condition and whether the buffer was upgraded (an option offered by Nikon). Or, you could find a used D2H for around $1500 used. The D2h is newer than the D1X (newer AF module, battery system, larger LCD), but has a lower resolution sensor (4 versus 5 megapixels). You'll find compelling arguments from both camps as to whether the difference in resolution makes a difference - it's the classic less filling, tastes great debate. IMO, it makes the most difference if you're cropping shots.

One option to consider is a used Kodak SLR/n (not the 14n). It won't have as nice of a finder as your F100 (or F/D series bodies), but it does have a *full* frame sensor, i.e. same size as 35mm film frame. I believe the SLR/n is based on the N80, like the D70. Lately, I've seen them selling used between $1999-2500.

Sam, email me off the thread. I believe I still have the demo disc that the fuji rep gave me with sample raws and jpegs from the S3. If I can find it, I'll just send it to you in the mail no charge.

The Kodak DCS Pro 14n and SLRn, the D100, and the Fuji S2/S3 are all pretty much based on the F80/N80. Those viewfinders are not going to be as good as those on the single-digit F or D series pro SLRs. The viewfinder on the D70/D70s is unfortunately another step or two worse than the D100's.

Therefore, if you cannot find an S3 to test, try a D100 or N80.

The D1x is capable of excellent sharpness at 11x14 or 13x18 inches. It is sharper than the D2h. At this point in history, it is also a great bargain if you are looking for a 6 MP (5.5 MP) camera with a professional build quality. It works very well with Nikon electronic flash and meters with MF lenses. The viewfinder, though smaller than that of the F5 (comparable build), is clear and bright. The responsiveness is an order of magnitude better than consumer DSLRs - there is no noticeable delay, anytime.

Battery life is not as good as newer cameras, but is not a major drawback as suggested. I get 150 to 180 RAW images per charge - more if I resist using the preview. I simply carry spare batteries. Third-party batteries are available for about $40.

I should refrace my answer above, The battery on the D1X can be a major

problem,depending on the type of use-I can shoot as many as 600-800 shots in a day,

and of course the art director wants to view a lot of the shots on the camera's screen, that

takes a lot of battery power. I would have to carry 6 D1X spare batteries with me, with the

D2H-D2X usually 1-2 batteries does it.

Dave

I solved this dilemma by getting the D100 to augment the F100 I already had and have been very happy with the results. I could have gone up the scale to the D1-2 area, but with technological advances, couldn't justify the price differential. I would strongly urge you to visit a good dealer and personally try some different models to see which ergonomics fit your needs...snap a few shots and run off prints...that way you won't rush to a judgement you might soon regret.

I compared the D100 and Fuji S2 viewfinders when I decided to buy a DSLR over 2 yrs ago (used a manual focus telephoto for the first year). Couldn't see any significant difference between them, so went with the Fuji for other more important reasons (like IQ). -Greg-