Hi All

I am about to purchase an Epson R2400 to replace and upgrade from

my "venerable" 785EPX (same ink as 1280) that is mechanically giving

up the ghost after about 4 years.

I prefer matte paper to glossy and have been using Epson Matte Paper

Heavyweight for prints. The price is right and the results have been

excellent. For greeting cards I've had excellent results with Red

River Polar Matte. I typically do 8x12 prints, trimming the 11x14

paper to 8.5x14 and 4x6 prints on the 11x14 trimmed to 5x7.

(a heck of a lot cheaper than epson 5x7 paper - grin)

I've done a few "tent shows" and have sold a few prints - explaining

the limitations on permanence, of course - and want to expand this.

Being on a severe budget I won't be able to experiment a whole lot

for starters so expect I will continue with the known universe of

Epson papers. I expect to be printing both color and B&W (looking

forward to the B&W in fact).

So, what paper(s) should I plan on using ?

Will Matt Paper Heavyweight perform as well or should I go with

something else such as Enhanced Matte for my "day to day" prints

instead?

How about for "special" prints. I see refernce to velvet papers.

I've looked at the archives but would also appreciate current

suggestions, caveats etc.

Thank you.

Bob

It does not cost much to get sample packs from different paper manufactures and try out for yourself. www.inkjetart.com provide sample packs of different papers in 8.5x11 size. I recommend you purchase these packs and see what you like.

Epsnon Enhanced Matte is a ceramic coated paper, recommended for Ultrachrome inks by Epson (and Wilhelm Research data) over Heavy Weigh Matte. I get beautiful results on this paper with a 2200, which is much less expensive than Premium Luster (the other paper that works well with a 2200/2400).

For "everyday" prints, I use Ilford Classic Pearl, using the Ilford supplied profiles.

Bob, I have tried pretty much all the Epson matte papers (except for the watercolor), and my favorite, hands down is their Fine Art Velvet. To my eye it is the perfect complement to the Ultrachrome inks. While the Enhanced Matte is a fine option, the Velvet gives images a special depth and presence. It seems to me that the ink just "sinks" in to this paper more than the other mattes. You will pay for the priviledge, though. Twenty sheets of 13x19 will run you $60 or so, and 8 1/2 x11 goes for just under $30. Worth it in my opinion for those special shots. Enhanced matte it great for every day work. My next Epson paper to try is their Ultra Smooth Fine Art, which is a coated matte. A local landscape pro sells 40-50" images on this and they are beautiful - with the depth of Velvet but with just the slightest luster. It is, you might expect, serious money - upwards of $100 for 25 sheets, for 13x19 which is the smallest sheet size. Most of this media is in rolls. Hope this helps and good luck with the 2400.

First of all thank you all for the responses.

So much paper .. so little time .. er .. money..

I had forgotten about the sample packs of paper so I will definitely investigate. Darned if I hadn't forgotten how many papers are available.

In the short term I'm going to get a pack of Enhanced Matte just to get going and maybe slip in a pack of Epson Watercolor. These seem to be a known quantity. Then I will start on the sample packs.

Maybe Christmas will bring a pack of the Ultra Smooth Fine Art, it looks interesting.

Again thanks to all.

Bob

Hi,

Very excited to start using my new 2400 and a little confused, having looked

around to find (not many) profiles.

I mostly want to get my portfolio around, out there, to get work, so need papers

that present finely detailed images, but hold up well with much page turning!

What profiles are you using for the Epson Enhanced Matte (if not those in the

driver)

or for the Ultra smooth Fine Art?

Anyone try the Moab Entrada, with a profile for it?

Thanks for any help!

Regards,

Diana

Bob, I just recently bought an Epson 2400. I've used it enough to run out of light magenta and order more inks. It's awesome, but will take some experimentation to get the most out of it. While I've only used the premium luster, premium glossy, and enhanced mat, I'm happy to report that I was extremely impressed with the black and white prints on the enhanced mat. I'm sure you'll enjoy the printer and the many black and white controls at your finger tips.

Just a cautionary note on changing the mat black and photo black - you lose a LOT of ink. My ink levels dropped almost a quarter cartridge across the board the one and only time I've made the swap. Right now I'm printing premium luster and glossy for wedding photos and not experimenting with the mat.

Best of luck.

Alan