minibus and I am wondering how much space we will have to bring

camera gear. We plan on bringing: EOS 1n, EOS 20D, EOS 350D, 100-

400, 200 f/2.8, 17-40, 28-135 and 420EX. The 350D with 200 f/2.8

will be in my wife's hands while I'll handle the 20D + 100-400 and

1n + 17-40 (both with there grips). Normally I would bring a Lowepro

Nature Trekker but I'm not sure if that is practical. I have a

Promag 2 as well, maybe I should bring that bag? One other thing is

my wife's length, she is 5ft 4" (165 cm), is she long enough to

shoot from the open roof? Any practical tips are higly appreciated.

Thanks!

I would suggest two bags to split the load and space requirments between you.

But as to your other questions I would think talking directly to the people with the "Mini Bus" would be the only way to know the answer. There are MANY different "Mini Bus" in the world with many different shapes and sizes.

The first practical tip I can offer is that you make absolutely ( and I mean absolutely ) certain that you have all the necessary innoculations and have started your anit-malarial medication.

Not sure about how much room your kit will take up but it can be a bit of a lottery as to how much room you will have in the minibus ( previous advice to check is a good idea ) but remember it is in the tour operators interest to get as many " bums on seats " as possible.

I would personally recommend you think about using photographers vests or gilets to carry the immediately necessary kit and carry one bag between you ( it may have to go in the back of the vehicle anyway ). Get lightweight ones preferably made of ( mostly ) cotton and vented if at all possible.

As regards your wife's height I do not see this as a problem as you can probably get away with standing on the seats ( make sure they are covered as a coutesy to the operator and fellow passengers ) or perhaps arrange for a stool if the seats are out of bounds.

Bear in mind that dust can be a problem so have covers handy for the kit ( another good reason for vests/gilets with their pockets ) and plastic bags can be useful too ( ziplock style ). Do a kit clean every evening if at all possible ( before drinking Whitecap or Tusker ! ).

Finally your kit will be a very tempting target for any light-fingered person - some of the items cost more than people can earn in many months, if not a year or more. Take the usual " tourists precautions ".

Despite all the above enjoy your trip.

( PS. do your research in advance and not when you get there )

I hope that your 100-400 is sharp at 400, as that will probably where you will mostly use it. At one time the guides could drive you almost anywhere, but are now restricted to the roads in some parks. This often means that you may not get as close as you wish. (If you like to shoot birds you would probably want a 500 and a 1.4X TC.)It is worthwhile having the flash for fill and highlighting the eyes of animals. I might suggest one of the Fresnel lens adapters to mount on the flash head to concentrate the light for more distant shots. They are inexpensive and portable.

A most worthwhile book is "Photographing on Safari" by Joe McDonald. It is out of print but can be found at Amazon. IBSN: 0-8174-5540-3.

Your wife will not have any trouble shooting from an open roof. (Incidently, some of my better close-up photos were taken from the open side windows rather than from the top.)

Since dust is endemic, bring some plastic "Zip-Lock" bags to protect film and media. I found that a bean bag can be of value, but only filled when over there. The Nairobi market has plenty of beans available for little money. A tripod is generally not worth the effort. A camera bag is necessary to protect your equipment from all the jostling as your van negotiates the indigenous terrain. On the vans there should be plenty of space for your equipment, as long as you are not too close to the European holiday season. You may wish to enquire with your tour provider.

Species identification books are available in all major cities, especially Nairobi. There were good bookstores at The Stanley Hotel and at Westlands Shopping Center.

Consider binocs, books on wildlife, birds, enough CF cards...

If you are very interested in wildlife, your 100-400 might be too short. On our last trip our driver spotted a leopard in a tree; my 500f4 was way too short, only after I added my 1.4 and 2x converter did I get enough magnification. My wife often smirks at all the gear I slug along, but she was glad to use my 1400mm lens...

Enjoy.