dazftw

I have been reading quite alot reviews of this camera and in alot of

them they either say the lense isn't great or you should buy a new

one ! Im wondering if i should buy a new lense or get the camera

with the kit lense, I have only been shooting photographs for about

a year so the kit lense might do me but im not sure. So if anybody

knows of better lense i could buy for it or if the kit lense would

do fine for me ? This will be my first dslr by the way and i coming

from a digital point and shoot. My budget is about $1200(usa)

including the camera

<p>Compared to your digital P&S, the kit lens will probably give amazing results (depending on what P&S you had). It's definitely worth getting in the kit. It's totally usable while you figure out what you want for lenses. Then, if you decide you want to replace it, you can sell it on Ebay for nearly as much as it cost you in the kit. So, getting it is a no-lose proposition.</p>

<p>Many of the landscapes taken in my portfolio <a href="http://www.mendonphoto.com"><b><u>here</b></u></a> were taken with that lens.</p>

If you don't have any lenses yet, you might consider the EF-S 17-85 IS, or the EF 17-40. The EF 17-40 has the advantage, that you can use it on full frame (e.g. conventional film) bodies. However, I would make the decision based on the actual price you have to pay for the lens. E.g. I had two offers, one without and one with the kit lens, and the offer with the kit lens was about 40,- EUR more expensive than the one without. Therefore, I took it, since I have a 20-35 and a 28-105 and having the 18-55 means to have an additional lens with a convenient range, if you do not want to carry all lenses with you.

As for lenses, the advice on using the kit lens until you improve is a good one. It has a good range for general use, and shooting with it will give you the experience you need to determine what lenses to get later on.<p>

I can't recommend any books without knowing what you shoot. Some books teach general photography, while others cover specialties such as birds, lighting, or glamour. Yet others delve into digital workflows. Spend some time at the bookstore flipping through photography books, and see for yourself what interests you.<p>

Other accessories to consider are a good tripod (a must), a polarizing filter (if you shoot outdoors), an external flash, and perhaps a remote shutter release. A good tripod is definitely worth the investment. Don't buy a cheap tripod at Wal-Mart -- spend more for a sturdier one. The Manfrotto Bogen tripods are very reasonably priced. And of course you'll need a camera bag and memory cards, so don't forget to budget for those.<p>

Hope that helps.

"Photographic Composition" by Tom Grill and Mark Scanlon is the best general photography book I have read. I doesn't cover almost any of the basics of using a camera, but you don't need to buy a book for that. First, read and understand your manual. Then, if you have questions about technicalities, ask here on photo.net.

you might want to try a photography course or two. I am enrolled in an online course with Tony Sweet (an amazing Photographer) and am learning allot! It does also help to read as much as you can too... but having an instructor who can point out mistakes and tell you your strengths and weaknesses is really a great thing.. plus the advice and wisdom you get from a real instructor are things you just wont find in any books! That aside, I just got a wrist strap for my XT... the best thing i ever got.. now I dont have the camera hanging off my neck like some 8 pounds of Bling-Bling and i dont even have to "hold" it, the strap just sorta lets it hang right there just at the palm of my hand, and thats cool because when i need it, i just raise it to my eye and shoot.Another item to bnuy for it is an extra battery or even a battery/grip! and get a lens cleaning kit to keep with you at all times.. and filters! Polorizer, UV Haze, maybe a Neutral Density... Have fun!

-zacker-