My family and I are safe, we were evacuated Sunday just before the

storm hit. I am told that my area has 10 feet of water and only

roof tops are visible. Water still rising because of levee

breaches. Most of New Orleans and surrounding areas are under

water, Twin span reported to be "gone" as is the causeway but these

are unconfirmed. I am in Alexandria with family and comfortable, I

hope everyone else got out ok.

Glad you got out Sam.

The Mississippi gulf coast is destroyed (over $26 Billion in insured losses is what the current estimates say). Something like 80 peopele are dead in Harrison County alone. The storm continued to cut a very wide path throughout the state. When it got here (Jackson, Miss.) it was a category one storm with gusts to about 80mph. 80% of the state is now without power (my office happens to be in the 20%, though my house is not). There has been a great deal of devastation on the gulf coast and elsewhere in Katrina's path. I wish everyone the best.

Frank Farmer

Jackson, Miss.

Sam,

Those of us happy LHSA-ers who attended the 2005 Spring Shoot in your city

fell in love with the people and amazing history of the Big Easy all over again.

We collectively fret with you about this major disaster and hope y'all

experience the fastest possible recovery.

Best wishes,

-jb

I know this is a bit late. And please don't take it the wrong way but,,,

MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND!!!!!! ;-)

Please?

I've never understood why people would want to live below sea level. It's one thing if it's Death Valley, and you're a few hundred miles from the sea. But right next door? Why?

I wish all of you a the luck in the world to rebuild your lives and to be happy again after these terrible losses. "Why live in New Orleans" ... and so on .. why live in Baghdad? It is their choice and as long as it is a place that millions enjoy and/or tolerate, that's the way it is. I am so happy that my family escaped the direct blow of Katrina, and I keep thanking God for sparing us the pain.

I've always thought it interesting when people comment on the location of others in such a

way. I live in Seattle, right on a fault that?s 40 miles from a HUGE volcano. Some would say

that's silly. However, my house appreciated by $65000 last year. That must be saying

something about the area. I think this hurricane will permanently displace many people

from the New Orleans area.

<i>OK, so here we go. Start the flaming, guys. George W. ist the guilty one here. He just won't do anything about the carbon dioxide issue.</i>

<p>

Actually you seem to be the only one here trying to make political points out of this tragedy.

My house is at sea level and the highest point of the city is only 25 feet above. Our house was built in 1908 and the worst it had to survive was intensive aerial bombing from the Nazis in WW2 (Portsmouth was and is a major naval port.) Should I move because of the possibility of some freak tidal surge (or other weather phenomena) ? No.

People in Naples have not uprooted because of Mount Vesuvius.

I mean come on, Yellowstone erupts every 650,000 years (approximately) wiping out most life in the USA and a lot more besides. It is, roughly speaking, time for it to blow again, plus or minus the odd ten thousand years. Should people move out of the USA just in case?

For the whole of recorded human history we have been fortunate enough to be living during a temperate spell in the middle of a colossal ice age. The ice age is due to resume again anytime soon. (In fact global warming may be forestalling it for all we know!) Should we all move south?

It is getting tiresome to hear people chanting 'global warming' every time some destructive weather event happens. What about the past? They had plenty of catastrophic weather events. For example, 1816 'the year with no summer' killed hundreds of thousands through loss of crops and famine. Cause? The explosion of Tambora and the billions of tons of fine ash it shot into the upper atmosphere in 1815 causing what we now dub a 'nuclear winter'. What lesson should we have learnt from that? "Dont live anywhere the jet streams can circulate volcanic ash?" Silly.