How to get to down under Brooklyn Bridge

jo_irps

I will be in NYC the week of Oct. 17. As I plan to take a few days

off for doing some photos, with the sky line in the morning and at

night obviously among them, I would like to ask how to get to that

spot under the bridges by public transport. I've read somewhere else

that nearby are the Brooklyn Ferry Pier and the Water's Edge

Restaurant (I'm looking foreward to Patsy Grimaldi's pizza place).

Would be nice if someone could explain how to get to that spot. I

will be staying downtown.

The restaurant under the Brooklyn Bridege is called the River Cafe (Brooklyn Side). Its Price Fixe for lunch is around $75, I think.

The Pier is to the left of the restaurant, with Grimaldi's restaurant (full Pies only, no slices) a 100 yards east.

Just get hold of a NYC subway map. The Bridge can be walked, but it's a hike.

The Water's Edge restaurant is actually in Queens, opposite the UN I think (ate their once).

Well if it were me I'd take a taxi before dawn on the basis that it would get me another half hour in bed and its only a short ride from downtown anyway so won't cost an arm and a leg. You can get there from the AC and F lines but they aren't on the water's edge so count on a half mile walk to the water. There might just be a more convenient bus, but you'd have to be a New Yorker for that and I'm not.

If you want morning skyline views in that area, have you thought about Brooklyn Heights Promenade which offers pretty much uninterrupted views across to downtown? The best views lie around the south end around Pierrepoint/Remsen Streets and you can get there on the 2,3 lines with about the same ten minute walk as everywhere else. Then after you can walk north along the Promenade and downhill to the waterside close to the River Cafe and on through the bridge to the little waterside park that leads off Water Street, from where you can photograph Brooklyn/Manhattan Bridge. There's also quite a famous view from Washington Street that allows you to position the Empire State Building directly within an arch of Manhattan Bridge.

While there, be sure to walk north along the water toward the Manhattan Bridge. The area is known as Dumbo (down under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) and the views of the Manhattan Bridge are spectacular as well.

If you go the park along the water between the 2 bridges, you will have the ability to take the world famous shot of the Brooklyn Bridge with the lower Manhattan skyline in the backround. This image is most compelling at twilight when the city lights come on. Sadly, it was also one of the best locations from which to photograph the twin towers in their majestic splendor.