Blown Highlights in BW

watermelon

What did you shoot it with? You don't say if it was film or digital. If it's film it's most likely overdevelopment. Burn in the highlights througfh a low contrast filter should get some tone but the whole photo is contrasty. Need more information to really know what's going on.

Your caption says the pic was shot with a Nikon 6006, i.e. film. There are definitely blown highlights in the image you posted but we have no way of knowing if they're blown on the negative. Unless that was intentional with the PS manipulation, there's no way to know if PS can recover them. If they're blown on your original scan (put the eyedropper on the white part of the forehead and if it's 255.255.255 it's blown) then there is not way to recover data that doesn't exist. A better scan may do the trick if the negative isn't blown.

With film the ol' addage has always bee, "when in doubt, blow it out" because highlights are almost always recoverable in the darkroom. You might want to try scanning the negative at different exposures and combining the images to a final higher tonal range photo. If you find that the highlights are indeed gone try this:

http://tinyurl.com/48258

A while back I found a link about adding tri-x grain to digital photos (might have been photo.net forums). I have found in instances of irretrievable highlights (ie. slide film or digital) it has worked in a pinch.

I have taken the libery to edit your photo via this technique as a demonstration. Hope you don't mind.

You don't say what type of film this is shot on. If it's black and white negative film, there is still detail in the highlights. Whether you can recover them digitally will depend upon your PS skills. They can be printed using traditional B&W darkroom techniques quite easily.

If this is a B&W conversion from color film, then it depends upon whether the film is negative or tranparency. If it's color negative film, you will still have detail. If it's transparency film - then they're gone.