Okay, I can't stand it anymore.

EricM

I played with the R3a (black) at PhotoVillage a while back. The 1:1 finder was 'nice,' but not the end-all-be-all i was hoping for. The 'both eyes open' thing didn't really work for me immediately, although i allow for the possibility that it might become more natural/comfortable with experience. But, I think you need to choose based on your lens range. If you need to use a 35mm lens, forget the 3. I don't remember how far out the frame lines are for the 40mm lens, but if it's anything like the 35mm framelines i have on my .85 M7, even a 40 might be uncomfortable for seeing the entire image area at once. You're going to have to handle one/both to make an solid decision.

I'm happiest with the R3A I bought. The 1:1 finder is close enough to my M3 to make me

feel comfortable. I like the M7 emulation. The 40mm frames aren't perfect, but I already

own a 40mm Summicron-C. I wish I had waited for the grey one. I use the R3A now more

than any other M-type camera I own.

Thanks everyone.

Jim, I'm into the R3a as well. I'll never own a 40, or rather see no need, as I'm stuck in love with the 35 and 50 but feel the 1:1 finder might be worth putting up with the nuisance. 1:1, (Dan) that is tempting. Who knows? And the faster shutter sync and faster top end shutter speeds...

Derek, I don't think handling both side by side is possible now in Vancouver, but I'd like to.

Sam, thanks. I've been visiting the same graphic on cameraquest too.

Dan, stop it! I don't know what it is about gun metal grey, but i've been a sucker for it since i started glueing models together in elementary school...

And lets face it, 1/50th sync and 1000th top shutter speeds belong in last century...

If you get the R3a and wear glasses be aware that the eye relief is not great. I had an R3a for a short while and it was great with a 50 mm lens mounted. However, I could not see all of the 40 mm framelines with my glasses on, and since I like using 40mm this made it unappealing for me. So, if you wear glasses and like shooting with a 50 mm lens then the R3a is for you. But the R3a with a 40 mm lense and glasses is not a good combo.

<p>Because I wear glasses, I'd only consider the R3a for 50mm and longer (or of course 25mm or wider). Yes, I've looked through it and I know that the 40mm framelines are there if I look around for them, but I don't normally see them. I suspect that even people who don't wear specs would have trouble seeing the framelines (but you should believe what they say, not my mere speculation). <strong>However</strong>, remember that this is a 1.0 finder. Photographing really can be a two-eyed business. One ought therefore to be able to train oneself to imagine the framelines, pretty much. It will be a bit rough, but then fixed angle-of-view framelines are only a rough guide even when they're visible. Indeed, I've sometimes used my Canon P (again 1.0 finder) with a 35mm lens in this way.</p>

I have both, prefer the R2a.

Framelines are too difficult to see in the R3a, even the 50mm lines are pushed to the edge

(with eye glasses). The R2a's RF patch seems brighter to me.

If you use the 40mm lens on the R2a, the 35 frame lines are close enough to work.

Another followup on the R2A/R3A for those who wear glasses: Nikon diopters fit on these

cameras, at least the ones that also fit on Nikon FM2n, FE2, etc. I found this out quite by

accident while experimenting. I wear glasses and had a little trouble with my R3A so (just

for the hell of it) I tried my Nikon -2 diopter because the eyepiece looked similar to the

R3A's eyepiece, and it worked perfectly. Now, I can use the R3A without my glasses and

see with 20/20 vision. The Nikon diopters are available at Nikon dealers (I think they fit

the FM3a, too). I buy mine at B&H Photo. They sure make life easier. Try one. They make

the R2A/R3A more likeable.