EF50/1.4 focus problem AF

chris_shawn

Hello,

I have a new Canon EF50/1.4 lens on a EOS 10D. At first the AF worked

very smoothly, fast and subtle. The lens is only 2 months old.

Yesterday when shooting a protrait of a client indoors (regular

lighting) it suddenly didn't want to focus anymore.

I am unexperienced with lenses that suddenly stop to work. I tried it

again now and still it doesn't work nice. Sometimes it just doesn't

do anything.

What can be done about this problem? Did anybody experience something

similar before? What is a mighty cause for this problem?

Thank you so much.

Yep, it is set to AF. And even when I switched to MF I had problems focussing but that could have been caused by nervousness because the problem with the equipment happened to me for the first time and it was in front of a client.

I tried to clean the contacts but only with my finger (I didn't have anything else ready). That might have been not good. What kind of eraser are you talking about?

Yes, I will get a replacement if the problem occurs again. I was curious what could have been the cause and if anybody else ever had similar problems with lenses.

The problem: I ordered the lens online and you know how bad it is to send it back and wait for replacement, etc.

I know the problem with the 50/1.8. I used to have it and it is just not USM and also cheap plastic. It actually was the reason why I bought the 1.4.

The problem I am having with the 1.4 is really a total stop. It "pretends" to be in focus and stops but it just isn't.

If you do a search of the archives, you should find a number of posts reporting AF problems with the 50/1.4. The reason for your problem may be different, but the common one is failure of one or more feeble plastic internal components forming part of the FTM kludge on this lens. Even quite a gentle bump to the lens, leaving no trace and causing no other damage, can cause this, and it may even happen spontaneously. Since your lens is presumably under warranty, you should get it fixed without charge (it is a simple repair, assuming that is the cause), or replaced.

Strange things happen: I recharged the batteries, now AF works fine again. Yesterday the battery display showed that is is full though, then this morning when I turned the camera on and off and on again it showed almost empty suddenly. Can the AF focus problem occur because of a low battery? And is there a known issue on wrong battery load display on eos 10d with battery back?