studio rental for freelancers

steve_gibbs1

Freelancers: What would you pay to rent a photo studio by the hour or day?

Numerous backgrounds (up to 16' wide rolls on walls, plus muslins & canvas)

would be included. A dressing room and a video 'viewing room' would also

be included. I have about 1000s square feet of camera room that I don't use

as much as I should. I have cleared my requirements legally to rent out space,

equipment and props by hour or day.

--This question is to any freelance photog. If you answer, make sure to

mention the area of the US you are in so I can try to come up with something

fair and reasonable for my own area....

Thanks!

Steve, I added a short response to your comment on my question regarding "Studio vs Freelance" below. Thank you for asking a question here about studio rentals.

I live in the SF Bay Area, and I have not investigated studio costs. I think some big studios will rent space for specific shoots, but other than that I'm not sure.

I'm also wondering if anyone has teamed up with other photographers to rent an office to use for studio, share lights and backgrounds and such...a cooperative rather than competative effort.

Todd brings up a good question about a "cooperative rather than competative

effort." Are freelancers interested in that kind of thing? If so, I would love to do

a trial experiment here in my town. What do you think a struggling "newbie"

can pay for a weekly or monthly share? Would it be non-profit or commercial?

Would there be competative isssues?

Basically, I'm sitting on a warehouse space w/ a huge bay door and a lot of

lights/bg's/props etc and I'm not using them as much as I should be. I was

considering down-sizing, but I am more interested in starting something

productive. Ideas?

If you are in a reasonably populated area (at least a large town or small city), I would think that you would get quite a bit of interest in subleasing a studio and paying hourly or daily fees.

I looked and looked before finally going in on studio and meeting space with two other photographers. I couldn't find anyone willing to rent me studio space or form a cooperative here in Orlando. In the end, the studio space, offices, presentation room, etc. split three ways was about the same cost as renting studio space several times per month @ $40-$50 per hour.

You can use an online clendaring tool to reserve studio space (like a shared Yahoo calendar).

I think it would be great to have some sort of coop in the WEST DETROIT area. I have been toying with an idea of having a Southeast Michigan Photography Group. Where we can share equipment, backdrops, a secretary, a viewing room. Even have small seperate offices. If any one is interested, please contact me.

Jeff

• 1 year later...

We have a studio for rent in Clinton Township, Michigan. Your lights or ours, you can rent

our space for wedding shoots, big events, video shoots, etc. Black curtain or green screen

backgrounds avaialble, we also have 24-track audio capabilities, 3 voice booths with track

room, dressing rooms, kitchens, conference room. If anyone is interested, please contact

me for a tour or for our rates...jenny@greenestuff.com.