website never mentions the word "macro" but I see it pop up in lots

of official reviews. Are there two models? As far as I can tell, it

is not officially a macro, but it does focus very close which has

earned it the added macro name. Does anyone have any experience using

it for macro purposes? I would love to see some example photos. I

plan to use it as my main wedding lens and need it to sometimes

capture the details (rings, favors, names on a program, dress detail,

etc.). My Nikon 18-70 3.5-4.5 G ED DX does not do a good job focusing

in on details. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Eric

I just purchased this lens myself, and I must say, Its sharper and more contrasty than my Nikor 50 prime!

There is only the one model, and it isn't really a macro per-say, but it does focus very close, and as sharp as can be

I, just a few hours ago uploaded 2 photos to my portfolio that where made using this lens at close range, and hand held for both shots, "and lord knows, my hands are not the steadiest", your welcome to have a look!

Ken.

You might consider looking at either the AF 60mm f2.8D Micro-Nikkor lens or the AF 90mm f2.8 Macro Tamron lens. Both are sharp: the AF 28-75mm Tamron is not quite a macro lens.

Or an extension tube and a AF 50mm f1.8D or f1.4D Nikkor will work at a wedding, too.

Apart from one or two exceptions, there are no true macro zoom lenses around, regardless of what the manufacturers claim. It is to Tamron's credit that they don't call this excellent and close focusing lens a macro but I suppose they have so many letters in the name already that there is no more space on the lens to add any more. No, it is not a macro. Yes, it does focus close. Yes, it can be used for detail shots to about 1:3 or 1:4 magnification, and even closer with a +2 close-up lens, for example.

Thanks everybody,

I feel good about the macro capabilities of the lens (i have a good macro lens, but it won't work as a main wedding lens) for what I need.

Ken- awesome galleries, very eclectic. Which images were from the 28-75? is it the first two pics in the "macro" section (coins and flower i think)?

Any other example pics would be great.

Thanks again!!

Eric

If you click on the folder called: A+A- Newest home brewed photo's :OP - 12 photos, the first 4 are with this lens, and then, inside that folder also, is a photo of an old store front titled: A view to the past, click on this photo, the store photo itself was made using a different lens, but if you scroll down, you will find in the comment section a few good example shots I made with the Tamron lens, the day that I purchased it!

Did I mention that I love this lens!

Good luck!

Ken

Thanks Ken,

Very nice pic of the tamron lens cap; it really makes me feel good about using that lens for detail shots during weddings. I will try to shoot some pics your way once i get the new lens (it usually takes me a while to actually build up the nerve to buy new equipment)

thanks again

eric