Digilux 2 discontinued

stuart d

"(O)thers this might be an opportunity to pick one up at a discounted price ..."

That the D2 is a 5 Megapixel camera and takes special 69mm filters (UV filter $140) notwithstanding, I think its kinda cool. The thing is that the D2 is still $1,595 at B&H. It would have to be pretty heavily discounted for me to consider one.

Charles - Yes it was Linda who sent me the email. I didn't have time to check back with her on discount pricing or the possibility of a new Leica digi point 'n' squirt. Just wanted to get the info out here.

Agreed - the specs of the Digilux 2 were unimpressive, especially for the price, but having seen a number of prints 11x14 (or perhaps larger) that Andy Piper made a few months back, I realized the specs are secondary.

Leica of course want to clear their inventories as much as possible before announcing a replacement and winding up with a SKU that doesn't move off the shelves. Leica won't succeed in selling may of these if the 'discount' price is still significantly higher than the Panasonic version (which doubtless will also be discontinued and discounted).

Can't say I'm in the market for a D2, but if the price were $700-$800 I might think otherwise.

So, if the Digilux 3 is an order of magnitude better than the D2, it'll have a 25 megapixel

sensor, and be half the size and twice the weight!

SWEET!

I shot with a D2 once, and was not impressed. It's way too big and light, feels cheap, for

my money I'd rather have a DSLR (which I already do). Would have been a great camera for

half the price, or if it came out four years ago. The wags who think the Digilux 3 is going

to be an M mount rangefinder digital camera better not get too hopeful.

• 1 month later...