Lee polyester set or Resin filter

kryn_sporry1

Guys,

I want to have some warm up filters. I already have a lee system,

but I wonder if their polyester filter sets will fit in the holder,

or if I have to buy the gel snap on holder on top of the filter.

Also I wonder about the quality when compared to the resin warm up

filters. I suppose you get what you pay for, but is it decent, or

should I just go for the resin stuff? Really I think an 81A and 81B

would be sufficient for the moment, but the polyester sets sell for

less than one resin filter costs.

any suggestions?

the polyester gels are good for the occasional job, but they are delicate and get scratched

very easily. you can slide them into the lee filter holder on their own, but it's better to

mount them in self-adhesive cardboard frames (i think lee sells them - if not try calumet).

the resin filters are much more durable.

Lee's own 100 x 100mm plyester technical filters are sold in Lee's own plastic filter mounts which can fit into the filter guide #2 for the Lee's filter holder. I actually use the combination of Lee's filter holder and its polyester CC10B filter to compensate for the yellow hue caused by my old Nikkor-UD auto 20mm f3.5.

The polyester filter is far thinner than the resin filter and thus its optical affect should be much smaller.

Hope this helps,

Akira

i found the gel snap to be a bit of a pain to use and the rubber perishes and messes up the finish on the lens coating.

well yes the gels can get scratched but your not focusing on the gel so it doesnt really matter too much ...especially if its behind the lens.

the gels are a lot cheaper and lighter to carry and i have had mine for years carried in a cd holder with the plastic edge frame and they are just fine....and very light to carry....and they dont get scratched because i take good care of them.

i hang my gel on a modified bulldog clip behind the lens ..gravity style. Occasionally it might fall of but you just have to be carefull.

the grads are mounted on the front.

never ever mount two flat filters together on the front or the back unless you like reflections and glare between the reflective flat surfaces...you may not notice it instantly but its there and it will make scratches on the gell surface seem like a walk in the park.